Broilers for show

SmartChicken123

Chirping
Nov 22, 2016
Texas
Any tips on raising broiler chicks for livestock shows? This is my first time showing and I currently have 25 chicks in my lap, bringing them home. Thanks in advance!

Keep them clean. Clean bedding in the brooder/pen is a must. Don't let them sit in dirty bedding as it can burn their feet.

High protein feed and lots of fresh water.

Plenty of room so they don't crowd each other and warm temps so they don't pile up.

When is the show? Do they have certain rules/guidelines to follow?

The show is March 23rd, and as far as I know the only guideline as far as raising them is that we have to order them through the show.

I've read that controlling their access to feed after a certain age can help with bone development and even growth.

Also (I don't buy it because it's so incredibly expensive) they have Purina high octane show animal supplements at tractor supply, instructions are probably online on how to feed. But you can definitely sink a lot of dough in food supplements for extra vitamins and high quality proteins backed by research.

The show is March 23rd, and as far as I know the only guideline as far as raising them is that we have to order them through the show.

Good enough. No supplements needed. Just a good high protein feed, and clean water and pen. Southern states makes a nice Meat bird feed around 20%. You can add fish meal for the first couple weeks for extra protein. I've found it helps give them a little extra to start. not much, maybe 1-2 lbs of fish meal to a 50lb bag of feed.

If you cannot get a high protein feed cheaply from the mill, get the lower stuff and add more fish meal to it to bring up the protein.

Keep them clean and comfortable and go have fun.

Good enough. No supplements needed. Just a good high protein feed, and clean water and pen. Southern states makes a nice Meat bird feed around 20%. You can add fish meal for the first couple weeks for extra protein. I've found it helps give them a little extra to start. not much, maybe 1-2 lbs of fish meal to a 50lb bag of feed.

If you cannot get a high protein feed cheaply from the mill, get the lower stuff and add more fish meal to it to bring up the protein.

Keep them clean and comfortable and go have fun.

Right now I have them on the mill’s brand of started feed, which is apparently very good.

No testing requirements?

Nope, since they all come from the same place. The only thing that I know of that might be what you are talking about is when you go the day of the show. They check the birds for any bruising, which if they were to find any would disqualify that pen.

Right now I have them on the mill’s brand of started feed, which is apparently very good.

Nope, since they all come from the same place. The only thing that I know of that might be what you are talking about is when you go the day of the show. They check the birds for any bruising, which if they were to find any would disqualify that pen.

Well read the tag on the feed. If it is not 20% protein, add fish meal.

Anything over 17% from our local mill is custom. So i grind my own.

Back
Top Bottom