Broilers: separate coop or incorporated into the flock?

distincthead

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 24, 2007
Boone, NC
I'm getting my first broilers this spring (only 10) along with an order for about 3 dozen standard breeds for eggs, give or take. I plan on just raising them all together, since they all get flock raiser as adults anyhow - but part of me feels that perhaps I'd get faster results if I could coop them up alone and better control their feed. Is that negligible? I don't mind an extra week of feeding, but I would be ****** if I ended up slowing them down considerably. What do you folks do?

I would separate them. The broilers will eat all the food until it's gone, every day. Plus, they're very - poopy. Nasty. not cool for your layers to live with.

I grow broilers on pasture in my yard and move them to fresh grass daily, but by a few weeks old, they're making a matted mess in just a few hours.

I raise them together until the meat birds (CX as well as BBW's) get so lazy the other birds start plucking sores on them, I then separate them until it's time for slaughter.
I've never had an issue with the normal birds going hungry. I keep food and water in front of them 24/7.

I raised some Cornish with layers for 3 weeks. They didn't gain weight as quick as the meat chickens I kept in the tractor. I think a lot of it was competing with the other chickens for food.

Back
Top Bottom