Broke the lid to waterer, how can I fix? *update!*

andehens

Songster
13 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Scenic Sierra Nevadas
I have a 3 gallan waterer, with the red tray and black plastic lid with the handle, after cleaning I screwed the lid on and it cracked most of the way around and on the top, of course now it won't seal and the waterer is useless!! I tried duck tape and thats a no go, can these lids be ordered? from where? or fixed somehow? is there a lid that belongs to something else that would also fit this size?

Last edited:
If the gorilla glue doesn't work try the same stuff used on pvc water pipes. It's a two part process....first the cleaner, then the glue itself and you do need to use both. I've used it successfully on kids plastic toys several times with good results. Good luck.

BTW - it is safe --it's the same thing used on incoming water lines in homes with pvc pipes.

Last edited:
Leah, I wish I had thought of that first! Gorillia Glue and then duct tape neatly over gorilla glue did not give an air tight seal, so I'll clean it up and try again tomorrow, that thing was pricey!

If the gorilla glue does not work, and it may not, if I remember I think it dries semi soft. go to any auto parts store and look for the glue section, they have many different types of epoxy, that will work no dought I have used these in the past with good results. I used it to repair a 300 gal horse water tank last year, worked good and these tanks are under allot of presure from 300 gal of water.

Do not just buy any epoxy or silicone. They often contain an anti mildew agent that is toxic. If you want to be certain it's safe get aquarium safe silicone from the fish department of walmart or any petstore with aquarium supplies. This will seal up the crack perfectly and is nontoxic.

The various types of super glue (including gorilla glue) might work short term but will slowly dissolve in water. Luckily it's not toxic but unfortunately within a month it will leak again.

Last edited:
Thank you everybody! I live an hour away from wmart, auto store and so on, I had to go to town any way and bought a 3 gal galvanized waterer while there. No matter what I did to that lid, I could not get it to vapor lock again, so now I'm looking at it and thinking, I can turn it into a feeder if I drill holes in the white part! To pricey to throw away! I just bought that a month ago and when I called feed store he hemmed and hawed and said he'd let me know Monday, whaaaaaaaaat? Still have my receipt, but I'm not going to make a federal case of it, I just bought the galvanized else where!

That's why I didn't mess with the plastic waterers like that this time around. They seem to break down and become brittle from the sun. I just use 3gal plastic buckets now and since the cages are near the garden whenever the water looks a little iffy I throw into the vegetable rows or on a nearby flower bush or tree.

Is the waterer made of polyethylene, they use that kind of plastic in water line for house's and had the same problem . I did not know if I should try one, you made up my mind. I'm going with galvanized too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom