Broken and Raised Beak - What to do?

crait

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So, again, one of my chickens is hurt...
This time, though, my rooster's beak is broken. It's weird because it's broken and raised pretty high. It seems like it's broken around the edges except on one side and raised like a treasure chest with one side like a hinge.
The question is what do I do to it? Pull it off? Push it back down? Leave it?
And what of the bleeding?

100_4570.jpg

100_4571.jpg

100_4578.jpg

I had a similar situation...I just left my boy alone - I separated him, putting him in a large quarantine pen. I hand-fed him for several days with a slurry that I mixed up of his regular feed, some baby bird handfeeding formula, a pinch of vitamins, some yogurt, and water, blended in my blender until very well blended. I squirted it in his mouth with a syringe. Did this 3-4 times a day, and within 2 weeks, his beak healed. Mine was his bottom beak, and it was literally hanging off. it slowly came back up to normal position, and healed quite nicely. BUT - I'm no expert - this is just my experience with it happening once - hopefully, you'll get lots of opinions to help! GOOD LUCK!

No problem. If your boy is healthy otherwise, I think he'll heal up just fine. Roosters are pretty tough!

Back
Top Bottom