Broken beak! Help!

AliciaC81

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
Help! It looks like one of my girls broke the tip of her beak! 😭 What do I do? I have her separated from the rest, she is drinking but won't eat. The bleeding does seem to be slowing down but I'm still worried.
20200916_171352.jpg
20200916_171130.jpg

Sorry to hear about your hen.

Any active bleeding should have pressure applied via a damp towel until the blood clots. After the blood has clotted some, could you wipe off some of the blood with a towel and post a few pictures so we can see the severity of the wound (?) Basing off of the current photo, it looks very minimal, and I highly doubt it'll affect her eating/drinking abilities. An antibiotic ointment like Neosporin can be put on the wound daily to prevent the chance of infection if you'd like.

Sorry to hear about your hen.

Any active bleeding should have pressure applied via a damp towel until the blood clots. After the blood has clotted some, could you wipe off some of the blood with a towel and post a few pictures so we can see the severity of the wound (?) Basing off of the current photo, it looks very minimal, and I highly doubt it'll affect her eating/drinking abilities. An antibiotic ointment like Neosporin can be put on the wound daily to prevent the chance of infection if you'd like.

The bleeding has stopped but she is absolutely not eating, only drinking water. Someone recommended I try a scrambled egg and she will not touch it. I tried to get a few more pics but she is not cooperating so I'll post what I have. Thank you so much for any advice.
20200916_210620.jpg
20200916_210730.jpg
20200916_210649.jpg

Right now, her attention is most likely drawn to the pain, the injury itself is not going to prevent her from eating or drinking. It might be best to leave her for the rest night, and see how she is in the morning. She should be eating and drinking by then.

Back
Top Bottom