Broken beak help

Mrs Bee

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2022
Hello folks, I just bought some chicken at a poultry swap in my area and I didn't notice until I got home that there was an issue with their beaks. An under bit looking scenario. I did a little research and found that they may have had a broken beak or intentional removal of their top beak. They all look as if they are healed however, now I am not sure, if I need to manage the lower beak that seems maybe long in comparison. Do I need to trim/file the lower beak a little? Is there a suggested length so the beak can catch up to match lengths? Do all chickens need their beaks trimmed regular or only if seemingly long? Anyone who can help with some advice I would appreciate your time so much. Mrs. B

Welcome. Do you have any pictures? It sounds as though they came with trimmed beaks. They don’t grow back. Some people want that if they have large flocks of birds to prevent pecking and feather picking. It is pretty ugly when you haven’t seen it before. How are they all doing eating and drinking? What are you feeding them? Crumbles out of a deeper container may help them eat. Normally, you would not want to trim the lower beak.

Welcome. Do you have any pictures? It sounds as though they came with trimmed beaks. They don’t grow back. Some people want that if they have large flocks of birds to prevent pecking and feather picking. It is pretty ugly when you haven’t seen it before. How are they all doing eating and drinking? What are you feeding them? Crumbles out of a deeper container may help them eat. Normally, you would not want to trim the lower beak.
Thank for your response. I just picked them up Sunday. I don't have photos yet. My other chickens eat pellets and free range. I guess I will have to get crumbles for this new batch of chickens. I also feed scratch and sunflower seeds, of which they may not be able to eat very well. Well, I am not schooled in what to look for in choosing older chickens. Didn't notice the beak issue. My lack of experience in choosing older chicken bit my in the rump. They'll get good care. They are in the misted with the other chicken learning the peaking order now. will have to observe their eat habits to see where any modification will have to be made. I will see about getting a photo posted.

I just picked them up Sunday.

They are in the misted with the other chicken learning the peaking order now.
New birds should be quarantined for at least 4-6 weeks away from your existing flock to monitor for any illness or disease they may have so you don't infect your whole flock.

As for beaks, I just put out cinder blocks and my birds will scrape their beaks on it to clean them regularly and it acts as a file at the same time. They also scratch their claws on it so I don't touch their claws or beaks, just let them do it on their own.

You can mix some of the pellets in a bowl of water to make a mash, and the chicken should be able to eat that. If they got pellets at their former home, those may be okay. But crumbles might be what is easiest for them. I would play around with what you already have, and be sure to clean the bowl of mash every day and change it out. It is always a good practice to quarantine new chickens for 30 days to look for signs of respiratory disease, to check their skin for lice or mites, and consider worming them before you add them to your flock. Respiratory disease symptoms may show up in 2-10 days.

Back
Top Bottom