Broken beak & lethargic

Gingerellie

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2023
Fairly new to chickens….
8 week old chick, smaller than others but not by a lot. Has had a pretty curved beak from the beginning, but seems to eat and drink ok.

We noticed last night she would sit in the corner puffed up and not as active as normal. After reading on this site today, we were/are concerned for coccidiosis. Tonight we went ahead and treated her directly with Corid as recommended to others just in case. No blood noticed in her poop.
This evening, it was discovered that the really curved part of the beak is broken.

Pictures are attached

1. Would the broken beak cause the puffing and lethargy?
2. What should we do for the beak? Trim it up at home or is this more of a job for a vet. We do have one in town that works with poultry.
3. Continue to treat for coccidiosis?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpeg
    IMG_0023.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0024.jpeg
    IMG_0024.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0021.jpeg
    IMG_0021.jpeg
    613.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0020.jpeg
    IMG_0020.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 17
8 week old chick, smaller than others but not by a lot. Has had a pretty curved beak from the beginning, but seems to eat and drink ok.

We noticed last night she would sit in the corner puffed up and not as active as normal. After reading on this site today, we were/are concerned for coccidiosis. Tonight we went ahead and treated her directly with Corid as recommended to others just in case. No blood noticed in her poop.
This evening, it was discovered that the really curved part of the beak is broken.
I'd trim the beak off where it's broken.

She may be puffed a little due to the beak being broken, she may also be dehydrated and not getting enough to eat.
Since you started the Corid treatment, I would finish the course.

I would make sure she's hydrated, if you need to, syringe or tube fluids into her.

Torpedo feeding would be a good way to make sure she's getting plenty to eat. Photos and video of how to do this are in this thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...eeding-what-is-it-and-when-to-use-it.1532744/

I'd trim the beak off where it's broken.

She may be puffed a little due to the beak being broken, she may also be dehydrated and not getting enough to eat.
Since you started the Corid treatment, I would finish the course.

I would make sure she's hydrated, if you need to, syringe or tube fluids into her.

Torpedo feeding would be a good way to make sure she's getting plenty to eat. Photos and video of how to do this are in this thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...eeding-what-is-it-and-when-to-use-it.1532744/
We trimmed her beak and she already seems to be getting back to her normal self. She went straight for water and food. Thank you so much for your response!

Back
Top Bottom