broken beak...need advice!

clucky2

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
NORCAL
My Americana, Sassafrass, must have gotten tangled up in something and in her panic to get free, somehow managed to break her beak. ( I'm guessing as to how this happened. ) Anyhow, her upper beak is cracked more than halfway across the top, but not all the way through to the pallet. It bled some, but not bad. I rinsed it and pressed on it to see how lose it is. It has some mushy give to it, but otherwise seems like it may heal okay if she stays in and quiet. ( She is. ) She is in good spirits, but a little grumpy about her confinement! I'm off to get some iodine.

Now my question is.. should I try securing her beak with a steri strip, or butterfly bandage? I worry that she may bump her beak pecking around and cause an interuption in the healing, or worse...it could get knocked completely off...Yikes!

Last edited:
Can you put a small piece of adhesive tape on it? Then maybe a drop of super glue (small drop!) to get the tape to really stay on and to stabilize it a little. I read somewhere where someone's non-chicken bird got a cracked beak, and she bought silk nail wraps and used those. Beak healed fine!

Good luck!

Thanks for your input Gertiebird. The beak is doing just fine. It seems to have glued itself back together. We did try to get some sticky tape on it last night, but it was very awkward, and seemed to be more stable, so we didn't do that. I did put her in the coop for the night, and this morning decided to leave her with the others where she's happy. Things still seem on the mend. I'll probably put more iodine on it tonight. I'm not really sure about the protocol for using it though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom