*UPDATE* Hen pecked off half her toe, advice needed

Billy_WitchDoctor_Dot_Com

In the Brooder
Premium Feather Member
May 11, 2023
Central Coast, CA
In early April one of my hens pecked off the top half of her toe. In May I posted here to ask for advice as the bone was still exposed. Here is a link to the original post with pictures of the toe’s condition at that time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...is-it-healing-properly.1579346/#post-26851343

The pics below were taken yesterday.

We’re now nearing the end of September and the bone is STILL exposed. Since the injury I’ve kept her foot wrapped to promote healing and fight infection. I change the bandage twice a week. Each time I change the bandage I clean her foot, spray some Vetericyn, apply a little triple antibiotic ointment, then re-wrap with clean gauze and Vetrap.

Should I keep wrapping her foot, or is the bandage doing more harm than good at this point? I haven’t seen a change in the toe’s condition in months, but the exposed bone makes me feel compelled to keep it wrapped.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• AE47B777-8148-4581-9D38-5898D490631F.jpeg
    AE47B777-8148-4581-9D38-5898D490631F.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 47
  • FF645D9E-5139-4841-892F-940BA9D72BE3.jpeg
    FF645D9E-5139-4841-892F-940BA9D72BE3.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 26
In early April one of my hens pecked off the top half of her toe. In May I posted here to ask for advice as the bone was still exposed. Here is a link to the original post with pictures of the toe’s condition at that time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...is-it-healing-properly.1579346/#post-26851343

The pics below were taken yesterday.

We’re now nearing the end of September and the bone is STILL exposed. Since the injury I’ve kept her foot wrapped to promote healing and fight infection. I change the bandage twice a week. Each time I change the bandage I clean her foot, spray some Vetericyn, apply a little triple antibiotic ointment, then re-wrap with clean gauze and Vetrap.

Should I keep wrapping her foot, or is the bandage doing more harm than good at this point? I haven’t seen a change in the toe’s condition in months, but the exposed bone makes me feel compelled to keep it wrapped.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
I had a hen that got her toe caught in something and it was just hanging there. I asked my farmer neighbor if I should cut it off or leave it. She (who is an old farm woman I trust) told me to leave it be and let nature take care of it. Two days later, she lost that toe, but it was already healed, so the defenses inside that toe must already have realized the other part was dead and just sealed itself off. I never had to do a thing.

In your case, it's been three months, so I'd tend to think the same thing happened, that the tissue sealed inside. I would let it go for a few days or a week and just see how she does. Check it over to see if it may have gotten infected. I highly doubt it will after this long, but it'll be good to just check on her now and then to be sure.

You did awesome for her. Good luck!

I had a hen that got her toe caught in something and it was just hanging there. I asked my farmer neighbor if I should cut it off or leave it. She (who is an old farm woman I trust) told me to leave it be and let nature take care of it. Two days later, she lost that toe, but it was already healed, so the defenses inside that toe must already have realized the other part was dead and just sealed itself off. I never had to do a thing.

In your case, it's been three months, so I'd tend to think the same thing happened, that the tissue sealed inside. I would let it go for a few days or a week and just see how she does. Check it over to see if it may have gotten infected. I highly doubt it will after this long, but it'll be good to just check on her now and then to be sure.

You did awesome for her. Good luck!
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom