Rooster has exposed bone where once there was a toe

crowers

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2024
Southern Maryland
Good evening everyone. I'm hoping for some advice on what to do about our rooster's foot. We were gifted Macho, our rooster, over the Christmas holidays. However, we quickly discovered that he was suffering with what appeared to be frostbite (he previously lived in the mountains in Pennsylvania). He has since lost two toes on one foot leaving some bone exposed. It appears that he is not in pain now that the toes fell off. My husband and my stepdaughter have done all that they can to nurse his foot with daily iodine cleanings, spraying with Veteriscyn Antimicrobial poultry care and applying antibiotic ointment. They tried to save his toes, but, it was too late. He is eating and staying hydrated. Surprisingly, he's moving about and doing his duty in watching over the girls.

Advice on what to do about the exposed bone is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Lillian

Could you please post a picture? I'm not sure whether it will get blocked or not but it would be helpful. The treatments are great for keeping infection out of it. What type of chicken is he? If he doesn't have feathered feet then I would suggest wrapping the toe to keep the hens from picking at it and to keep dirt and infection out. You might even want to do that if he does have feathered feet. Keep watching him to make sure nothing goes wrong. Depending on the picture, you might want to take him to a vet, but wait until you get more advice. I hope this was helpful!

Frostbitten toes will self amputate within a month or more from the injury. Did the person who gifted him not realize there was frostbite. I would continue to clean the toes with Betadine daily. Once frostbite gets the toes, there is no saving them. There usually is a demarcation where the healthy tissue is.

I don't have one showing the exposed bone nor the missing 2nd toe, but, here is what I have for now. Tomorrow, I will snap a couple of pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0302.JPG
    IMG_0302.JPG
    335.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0304.JPG
    IMG_0304.JPG
    478.2 KB · Views: 10
my aunt has a chicken with no toes, and I once had a chicken with AN ENTIRE EXPOSED SHOULDER JOINT. Angel was fine, she lived a good life and was the queen of her flock.

It looks like he will probably lose most of the 3 toes and part of the foot. He should still be okay and be able to get around once the healing occurs.

Watch to make sure it doesn't get infected but I think he'll be okay. Keep doing the same treatments you have been doing as they might help save the rest of the foot, but you probably don't need to wrap it unless you see excessive tissue exposure when/if he looses another toe or if infection becomes very likely. Hope he does better!

My apologies for the not responding sooner, have a lot on our plates right now. Thank you all so much for the feedback and advice!! I feel much better now. Glad to know he can a quality life without his toes as long as no infection or other disease crop up. We thought searched for prosthetics not knowing whether he could get around without his toes or even his foot if it came to that. We will continue treating and watching him closely.

To answer @ SpeckySussex's question about what type of chicken, Macho is a Rhode Island Red. And, we did talk to a Vet before Macho lost his first toe and he suggested that we might have to euthanize him if his quality of life declines, other than that, the vet advised to continue with what were already doing.

Again, thank you all so very much!

Attachments

• IMG_0532-preview.JPG
    IMG_0532-preview.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0533-preview.JPG
    IMG_0533-preview.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0534-preview.JPG
    IMG_0534-preview.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 3
Soaking the feet daily in warm Epsom salts in a dishpan or tub can help to speed healing. I would avoid wrapping the toes. Wrapping a foot or leg can result in things getting tight and causing more damage when circulation is cut off. Frostbitten toes should be left open to dry out. Toes will self amputate in time.

Back
Top Bottom