1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broken beak question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dandydoodle, Dec 20, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I put super glue on my hens broken beak. I guess something spooked her and she ran into the side of the coop. Does anyone know how long it takes a broken beak to heal? I am worried she will break it more before it has a chance to heal. If a hen breaks her beak will it always be easier for her to break it again.

Thanks for the help,
    [​IMG]

2. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    anyone?

3. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    [​IMG]

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    A picture would be ever so helpful. There are several threads here about broken beaks. Type it up in the search bar and you'll get several similar stories. Some had completely lost an upper beak all the way back to the nostrils and survived and learned how to eat and drink without it.

5. CherylR

CherylR Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Western NY
    I don't know if this will be of much help, but i had a hen that was attacked by a raccoon and one of her many injuries was a broken beak. I fed her watered down A/D (a Hill's pet food diet for convalescing animals) with a dropper until she was able to eat on her own and it healed pretty much on it's own. That was several months ago (early summer) and today you'd never know there had been a break in it. It seems like it took a few weeks to really heal and as far as being more break-prone...I'm not sure. She hasn't had a problem so far and the beak seems really stable. Hope this helps a little...

6. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    It all depends on how far back it breaks.
    I've had some that never grow back and I've had to destroy the bird.
    and I've had them grow in crooked, I trimed the growth with finger nail clippers over and over until it started growing straight.

Make sure your chicken can eat and drink, you should see growth in a week if there is any.

7. Cowgirl75446

Cowgirl75446 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Texas
    Hi, I broken beak will eventually heal up sometimes, depending on the severity of the break.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by