Broken beak

jpasker

Hatching
Dec 14, 2016
So this morning I went out to give my girls their morning treats and I noticed that two of my girls had blood on their beaks. I immediately started inspecting for possible pecking, but as I threw out scratch, I noticed my barnevelder Millie and my black copper maran Merle had the blood on their beaks and couldn't pick up the scratch. Upon further inspection, their beaks appear broken, but more like fractured.

I have separated from the rest of the flock in a cage. But what do I beyond this. Most of the previous posts on broken beaks were completely broken beaks.

I'm curious if I just clean the beak and apply from vetricyn and send them back out? Or do I keep them in their cage in the garage, which they seem scared in? While I want to ensure that they are eating and drinking and pooping, I'm not sure they will do that in the garage if they are scared. This is my first set of girls and I'm at a loss. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

The bump on the beak is just blood and not actual beak.

Welcome to BYC. I have no experience with broken beaks, so maybe others will chime in to help. I would keep them separated if possible, and put a high sided bowl with water added to a small amount of chicken feed to help them eat. also add a bowl of water. I use tall coffee cans for water, so they can't knock over the water. Here are good links to help you:
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/help-my-chicken-has-a-broken-beak/
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/repairing-chickens-broken-beak.html

Last edited:
Thank you, Eggcessive. Upon further inspection, it looks like the top layer of their beaks are gone. ???? If you look at the photos above, their beaks are usually all dark and you see where it is a lighter color? That is where the top layer was chipped off.

I just cleaned them gingerly and applied neosporin to their beaks. I'm going to keep them in the garage for at least today. But I can already tell that in the 45 minutes they have been in there, they aren't happy about it.

What did you end up doing for your chickens with broken chipped beaks? My guinea fowl broke his beak yesterday and I need some guidance. I have scoured the internet a lot the last 12 hours. I cleaned him up really good and used the Vetericyn spray as suggested (It is safe to ingest). He is resting comfortable in a cage up and away from other birds (or tormentors). I need help with getting him food and water.

Back
Top Bottom