Broken broody wont lay.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cluckcluckluke, Jan 6, 2013.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

I broke my Araucana broody a few weeks back she doesn't cluck or go back on the nest she eats and drink "normally" but she has gone of laying[​IMG], so how long will it take her to take up laying again.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She may very well wait until spring. A hen will set, raise a brood, sometimes molt and then resume laying. How quickly this process takes (other than the 21 day normal incubation) varies from hen to hen. It's all about the hormones.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    x2

4. cluckcluckluke

But Its in the middle of summer where I am and she was only broody 1 week max and then I broke her, so why isn't she laying[​IMG].(I miss her green eggs).

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She isn't laying because hormonally her body isn't telling her to lay. [​IMG] Actually she may have resumed laying earlier if you had allowed her to raise a brood of chicks.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My chickens that I have broken will sometimes go 6 weeks to 2 months before laying again.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Pick up hen and feel her. I allow some of my hens to brood two to three breeds annually. Hormones involved although condition factor is also very important. When my hens hatch off a brood, they are at the lowest weight they can be for whole year. The low weight is maintained until chicks become more mobile enabling hen to forage more for herself. When forage quality good and broody duration typical (~ 5 weeks post-hatch), shortly after chicks are weaned the hen will again be in condition to resume laying. Having brood aborted / lost prior to 5 weeks post-hatch speeds process of starting subsequent brood although generally two to three weeks is minimum time required before hen builds up reserves needed to lay another clutch.

8. cluckcluckluke

ahh... that is so annoying, so I could be waiting up to 2 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by