Broken broody wont lay.

cluckcluckluke

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
The Foothills Of Chickendom
I broke my Araucana broody a few weeks back she doesn't cluck or go back on the nest she eats and drink "normally" but she has gone of laying
barnie.gif
, so how long will it take her to take up laying again.

She may very well wait until spring. A hen will set, raise a brood, sometimes molt and then resume laying. How quickly this process takes (other than the 21 day normal incubation) varies from hen to hen. It's all about the hormones.

She isn't laying because hormonally her body isn't telling her to lay.
idunno.gif
Actually she may have resumed laying earlier if you had allowed her to raise a brood of chicks.

Pick up hen and feel her. I allow some of my hens to brood two to three breeds annually. Hormones involved although condition factor is also very important. When my hens hatch off a brood, they are at the lowest weight they can be for whole year. The low weight is maintained until chicks become more mobile enabling hen to forage more for herself. When forage quality good and broody duration typical (~ 5 weeks post-hatch), shortly after chicks are weaned the hen will again be in condition to resume laying. Having brood aborted / lost prior to 5 weeks post-hatch speeds process of starting subsequent brood although generally two to three weeks is minimum time required before hen builds up reserves needed to lay another clutch.

Back
Top Bottom