Broken Coturnix Wing 3-4 week old

A broken bone hurts. Injuries hurt. If I drop a box on my foot, I don't show much reaction, but it still hurts.

Your bird will probably heal, but unless you know how to check and set the bone (which I have no idea how to do) it will probably not heal quite right.
Thanks. It was more of a general question. I have a bird hatched with serious deformation. I put a splint, she is relatively fine now but I often wonder if she is in any pain

Thanks. It was more of a general question. I have a bird hatched with serious deformation. I put a splint, she is relatively fine now but I often wonder if she is in any pain
That's harder to say. I could probably tell you if a cat was in pain even if they're hiding it, but that's just because I know cats really well. I don't spend as much time with my birds, so I can't read them as well.

That's harder to say. I could probably tell you if a cat was in pain even if they're hiding it, but that's just because I know cats really well. I don't spend as much time with my birds, so I can't read them as well.
my poor baby 2 days old. She is feisty though. Not even the last in pecking order

Attachments

• IMG_20200818_233024.jpg
    IMG_20200818_233024.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 16
How do you know that it isn't in pain?

It has a broken wing. It won't show it. It is a prey animal. I'll say broken bones hurt.
If the skin isn't broken and it is kept immobilized, it should heal. Or get infected. Broken skin will lead to infection quicker. Infections hurt, too.

Best wishes.
The skin isn't broken, so I hope I dont have to worry about infections. Can it get infected when the skin isn't broken? Also, how do I keep him immobilized?

As I see it, you have two options:

1. Separate him with a friend. Quails alone are very unhappy. And a boy will crow CONSTANTLY. If he’s young, he may heal, but it’ll take a week or more.

2. Cull. You can just lop his head off with a pair of scissors and toss him in the compost, or to your dogs, or take the opportunity to learn to “process” quail. and eat him.

When I had to put down my first man, I watched a video on YouTube, and followed the directions. It was SUPER easy. Way easier than I could have imagined.

All you need are sharp scissors. If he’s not full grown, even those eyelid-shaped manicure scissors work.

Here’s a good video. I use scissors or a knife to cut the skin. But I guess you dont need to.

Thank you for that. I just have them as pets so I will not eat him if I cull, also he is very tiny and would just be like eating a single chicken nugget as a meal 🤣.

He is just a baby(ish) right now so he isn't crowing and still has a bit to go before then. All of his friends are chill since they are all 'babies' too, so do I need to separate him?

A broken bone hurts. Injuries hurt. If I drop a box on my foot, I don't show much reaction, but it still hurts.

Your bird will probably heal, but unless you know how to check and set the bone (which I have no idea how to do) it will probably not heal quite right.
I tried a splint type thing with some fabric, but he just kept falling over like it was binding his legs, which it wasn't. I will try with some ace bandage type stuff tomorrow when I get some. This thread someone made a splint and it also failed, so I'm not really sure to do. I want it to be set right just for his quality of life, but if not, my ladies (and boys now I guess) don't do too much flying even when I let them out in their ground pen, so that might not be too big of an issue.

The skin isn't broken, so I hope I dont have to worry about infections. Can it get infected when the skin isn't broken? Also, how do I keep him immobilized?

Thank you for that. I just have them as pets so I will not eat him if I cull, also he is very tiny and would just be like eating a single chicken nugget as a meal 🤣.

He is just a baby(ish) right now so he isn't crowing and still has a bit to go before then. All of his friends are chill since they are all 'babies' too, so do I need to separate him?

I tried a splint type thing with some fabric, but he just kept falling over like it was binding his legs, which it wasn't. I will try with some ace bandage type stuff tomorrow when I get some. This thread someone made a splint and it also failed, so I'm not really sure to do. I want it to be set right just for his quality of life, but if not, my ladies (and boys now I guess) don't do too much flying even when I let them out in their ground pen, so that might not be too big of an issue.
I know what you mean. Maybe contact a bird rescue team for instructions?

My humble opinion, if you see him unable to stand up and lethargic don't hesitate to cull him. He will be infected and suffering. I only lost one bird till now and I regret waiting and hoping and being coward

You know how much work you're willing to put in to save a chick. I try to give them a fighting chance, but since I raise mine for eggs and meat, I'm going to be quicker to cull than someone who is raising a pet.

I hope your chick gets better.
I wasn't planning on helping her. I'm a bit against on intervening. After a 20 hours strangle to get out and almost 24 in the incubator unable to stand up I was hoping she will perish. Once in the brooder I was checking her every couple of hours hoping I'll find her dead, while I was scerching in frenzy for a video with a similar problem. Nada! Only spraddle legs. Either I' would let her starve, kill her or came up with something. She was so determined to live. I'm woring now what will happen when she will start laying. Egg bound is my worst nightmare because I will have to cull her. If I had seen a video of egg bounding before, I'll never would have buy birds! Thank god I was so ignorant.

Back
Top Bottom