Broken Coturnix Wing 3-4 week old

Peristeria

Songster
Jul 4, 2020
When I was checking on the babies this morning, Toaster was acting off so I picked him up. When I looked closer he had a broken wing. How do I help him?

Attachments

• 16072770152555431758461964996353.jpg
    16072770152555431758461964996353.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 13
I had 2 times a broken wing till now, both healed fine.
Of course it hurts, but pecking wounds do either and we let them heal.

I taped the wing... the quail hated it, but it gave the bone the time to fix. More moving and flapping just breaks it again, before it hardened.
First I taped both wings, like I saw as a pigeon breeder did it, but she fell all the time and had problems to get up. Just taping one wing worked better.

After 8 days and I removed the tape (she hated it even more, and some feathers got stuck on the tape) but she is fine now.

20200703_202049.jpg

20201210_190800.jpg
He(/she???) is all right now! Quick recovery! His(her???) bruise under his wing is already gone! Since he(/she???) had to deal with me so much looking under his(/her???) wing, he/she is really calm. He/she might be my favorite! Dont tell the others! 🤫

How can you know a bird is in pain if not showing it?
How do you know that it isn't in pain?

It has a broken wing. It won't show it. It is a prey animal. I'll say broken bones hurt.
If the skin isn't broken and it is kept immobilized, it should heal. Or get infected. Broken skin will lead to infection quicker. Infections hurt, too.

Best wishes.

I recommend culling.

Housing him with another male depends on the two males, available space and a lot of hiding places. Expect problems, but it has been done before.

When I separated an aggressive male, he crowed constantly. They don't like being alone and will call for mates.

How did the wing get broken? I use a vertical barred rat cage for a breeder cage and one's wing went through the bars, I think, and broke. This was a misidentified female that was put in with 4 males for grow out. I'm guessing she was chased and caught her wing. I line this cage with cardboard now to prevent this.

Back
Top Bottom