Old quail concerns

Ocean Flare

Chirping
Jan 29, 2021
Florida, United States
Hello, lovely BYC people!

So, Fallfly, my ancient baby of a 5 year old quail, who has outlived 3 hens, is getting old, I'd say. He seems to want to keep on living, despite my worries of him being lonely šŸ˜…

For about a year now, he's had seemingly permanent balance issues where he even steps on his own feet. He's managed to ignore this fact and attempts to begrudgingly drag himself around when he's having extra issues righting himself šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø If there's a will, there's a way!

A few days ago, however, I was up late at night and caught him sort of opening his wings halfway to vibrate them, but it's only happened when it's dark, so I thought it was maybe due to sleepiness or lack of light, but I'm not sure.

I picked him up to feel him over (he's perfectly comfortable with this) and make sure he's been eating and looks normals, but I can feel his bone, the sternum, I believe. I sort of freaked out as my last hen died of starvation after a serious bacterial infection, but I could feel food in his crop. Perhaps I need to add additional supplements to his diet? Since he doesn't move around as much and he seems thinner?

What do you guys think?

Here's a random picture of him being sleepy šŸ˜Š

Attachments

• 20230916_153854.jpg
    20230916_153854.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 29
That is an elderly male but I've got some that are 7 and 8 years old. As long as they don't get diseases or predators get them, in captivity they can live fairly long lives. Just keep doing what your doing! Not much else you can do!

Back
Top Bottom