Broken Coturnix Wing 3-4 week old

Peristeria

Songster
Jul 4, 2020
When I was checking on the babies this morning, Toaster was acting off so I picked him up. When I looked closer he had a broken wing. How do I help him?

Attachments

• 16072770152555431758461964996353.jpg
    16072770152555431758461964996353.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 13
I would consider culling him if you can't take him to a vet. You might try isolating him and letting him heal, but he'll probably be crippled for the rest of his life.
That is unfortunate. I cant take him to a vet but he doesnt appear to be in pain unless I move or touch the underside of his wing. Should I separate until he heals? There are only 3 others in the brooder with him and he cries for them if hes not with me.

Is there a way to make a sling for him? I really dont want to cull unless he is in pain.

Since he will be crippled I cant give him to a friend as I intended, so can 2 males live together with girls or should I make a bachelor pen?

I recommend culling.

Housing him with another male depends on the two males, available space and a lot of hiding places. Expect problems, but it has been done before.

When I separated an aggressive male, he crowed constantly. They don't like being alone and will call for mates.

How did the wing get broken? I use a vertical barred rat cage for a breeder cage and one's wing went through the bars, I think, and broke. This was a misidentified female that was put in with 4 males for grow out. I'm guessing she was chased and caught her wing. I line this cage with cardboard now to prevent this.

I recommend culling.

Housing him with another male depends on the two males, available space and a lot of hiding places. Expect problems, but it has been done before.

When I separated an aggressive male, he crowed constantly. They don't like being alone and will call for mates.

How did the wing get broken? I use a vertical barred rat cage for a breeder cage and one's wing went through the bars, I think, and broke. This was a misidentified female that was put in with 4 males for grow out. I'm guessing she was chased and caught her wing. I line this cage with cardboard now to prevent this.
I dont know honestly. I am thinking that he got stuck between a flower pot and the wall and broke it that way. I have never culled before so I dont know how to. I removed the pot to prevent future possible injuries.

Our current male is super chill- the reason why we chose him over the other males. We had a huge hatch of like 30 and had a ton of males to choose from, but he was the least aggressive so we kept him and gave away the rest.

There will only be 3 or 4 males if I have a male only pen, and I am going to keep it far from my ladies because I heard that if they can hear them that they will be aggressive. The other male that will be in there is a tiny tiny one, so I doubt he will pose any problems, but you never know. He hatched a day later than everyone, but he was so small I started weighing them and he is way smaller than everyone else.

Thank you all for the replies!

How can you know a bird is in pain if not showing it?
How do you know that it isn't in pain?

It has a broken wing. It won't show it. It is a prey animal. I'll say broken bones hurt.
If the skin isn't broken and it is kept immobilized, it should heal. Or get infected. Broken skin will lead to infection quicker. Infections hurt, too.

Best wishes.

As I see it, you have two options:

1. Separate him with a friend. Quails alone are very unhappy. And a boy will crow CONSTANTLY. If he’s young, he may heal, but it’ll take a week or more.

2. Cull. You can just lop his head off with a pair of scissors and toss him in the compost, or to your dogs, or take the opportunity to learn to “process” quail. and eat him.

When I had to put down my first man, I watched a video on YouTube, and followed the directions. It was SUPER easy. Way easier than I could have imagined.

All you need are sharp scissors. If he’s not full grown, even those eyelid-shaped manicure scissors work.

Here’s a good video. I use scissors or a knife to cut the skin. But I guess you dont need to.

Back
Top Bottom