Broken Egg but chick is still alive

If you feel if you take the tape off the shell is going to fall apart, don't take it off. There are enough cracks air is getting inside plenty; once the chick is ready is should break out itself. If you hear the chick tapping against the shell, or poking through you may help her out a bit.

Do you think I should remove the tape though? I don't want to mess with her anymore than I absolutely need to, but I don't want her to get stuck either... she's moving around a lot, and chirping louder now. The membrane is white and I can't see any blood vessels so that's good right?

Do you know where her beak is?
No, but it doesnt seem to be in the spot that's broken... She's still very active and chirps occasionally. I peeled the corner of the tape off and I can't tell what I'm looking at... I believe this egg is from one of my silver laced wyandotte hens, she appears to be all black. My roo is a lavender orpington and I used eggs from SLW and lavender orpington hens.

No, but it doesnt seem to be in the spot that's broken... She's still very active and chirps occasionally. I peeled the corner of the tape off and I can't tell what I'm looking at... I believe this egg is from one of my silver laced wyandotte hens, she appears to be all black. My roo is a lavender orpington and I used eggs from SLW and lavender orpington hens.

If you are able to locate where the beak is, you might try to take a small brad-point screw bit, and make a safety hole right where her beak is to ensure she is getting enough air. After that, simply monitor her, and hopefully, she can get out the rest by herself.

I was able to locate her beak to the left of the crack, it's exposed and she's breathing just fine. But now she's quiet- hopefully resting before hatching? I also wonder about her shrinkwrapping... can that be helped or fixed at all? Humidity was an issue for awhile, but I've got it under control now..

I was able to locate her beak to the left of the crack, it's exposed and she's breathing just fine. But now she's quiet- hopefully resting before hatching? I also wonder about her shrinkwrapping... can that be helped or fixed at all? Humidity was an issue for awhile, but I've got it under control now..

If the safety hole has been made, and the humidity is fairly high I would leave the chick be for now. Make sure to let us know how the chick does.

Will do! While I've been busy worrying about this little one, her siblings have begun hatching under mom! I'm really hoping she pulls through- she seems strong.

Attachments

• 20210126_133430.jpg
    20210126_133430.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom