Broken egg inside hen! Help!

Hens rule

Songster
9 Years
Jan 28, 2015
US
When I walked tords my hen Hammy she was sitting on the ground. I thought she was just relaxing but she wasn't. When I got closer she walked away and amediantly sat down in the grass. She sat there for about 5 minutes and moved when I got close to her. She is walking very slowly and there's eggy clear stuff on some of her butt feathers. I picked her up and opened her vent with the feathers above her vent and it was easy to open and she didn't stress to keep it closed.- I don't know if that would be called a prolapsed vent or not. :/
After she flew of the table she pooped out a little of this yellowish liquid with the consistency of a egg on the ground. Before this when I checked the nesting boxes there was some egg insides all soaked into the straw and bedding. I think she may have a broken egg inside her. And also she's asking pretty lethargic and she drank a lot of water when I let her and the others out to freerange, because I forgot to put water where they where locked up for a while, I don't know if that has anything to do with the eggy stuff. And she didn't make any of her sounds today :/
Does she have a egg broken in her and how can I help it come out!? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
She probably doesn't have a prolapse, this is red fleshy stuff protruding from the vent. She could very possibly have a broken egg inside of her, but the broken egg in the nest box can mean she laid a soft-shell egg or you have a chicken that broke and ate an egg.
Also, liquid coming from the vent can mean she is egg-bound, though the yellow "droppings" does sound like yolk.
This is an emergency. She probably needs to go onto antibiotics.

Best of luck! I hope she gets better.

Last edited:
Thank you!
Or some reason Hammy is acting better, less lethargic and more active. I don't know if it was a soft shell but I just fed them some oyster shell and Hammy seems better.
I checked her vent/belly area to see if she is egg bound and it is not at all swollen or big, it actually is small... I think it's small because I haven't fed them very much lately. For some reason after she pooed out that yellow stuff she seems better. But incase of broken egg shell what kind of antibiotics can I give her and where could I get them? Thanks again! :)

I've only used antibiotics on chickens a couple times (probably the wrong kind and wrong dose), and it didn't work, so I'm not sure. Sorry.

I've only used antibiotics on chickens a couple times (probably the wrong kind and wrong dose), and it didn't work, so I'm not sure. Sorry.

Thanks anyways,
When one of my hens had a impacted crop and it was infected a little the vet prescribed a antibiotic, I'm going to see if I can find that old bottle and see if I can get some for her.

I would be more inclined to investigate her poop a little further. Keep her isolated so that you can see whether or not she lays any eggs . Egg peritonitis is also a possibility . If she is egg bound antibiotics won't have any impact. A warm bath , massaging towards the vent may help to get things moving. When was the last time you wormed her ?

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

Last edited:
Okay thank you,
What is egg peritonitis?
I don't think that she's egg bound because I felt her vent/belly area and its completely empty from any eggs and its not at all inlarged or swollen but I'll keep an eye on her for that to make sure I'm right.
I haven't ever wormed my hens before, I don't know why but they just seem to be fine without it. I have de-wormer but I've never used it before because I don't want to mess up the amount to give them.

Okay thank you,
What is egg peritonitis?
I don't think that she's egg bound because I felt her vent/belly area and its completely empty from any eggs and its not at all inlarged or swollen but I'll keep an eye on her for that to make sure I'm right.
I haven't ever wormed my hens before, I don't know why but they just seem to be fine without it. I have de-wormer but I've never used it before because I don't want to mess up the amount to give them.

My first course of action would be to worm your flock. Then check the calcium levels in your feed , supply oyster shell or calcium barbonate on ' free take ' in a bowl in the coop. If there has been a glitch in the system you won't necessarily feel any lumps in the abdomen .

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/2/formation-of-the-egg/

And this on calcium.

http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/calcium-the-key-to-beautiful-eggs-and-healthy-hens/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom