Broken egg or egg eater?

Cinnamon11

Songster
May 18, 2020
California
I found this cracked egg and at first I thought it was a popped soft shell egg but it is indeed hard. I think I forgot to collect eggs yesterday so could one of them just laid on it and it broke or do I have an egg eater?

Attachments

• F217322B-A4E1-4A1D-A97D-E81390C15BD1.jpeg
    F217322B-A4E1-4A1D-A97D-E81390C15BD1.jpeg
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 14
If it was an egg eater there would be any liquid left. I think someone tried putting it under them while laying theirs. I get an accidental pecked egg once in a while.

I would completely clean out that nest box. I do see green egg shell pieces and lots of poop. Probably moisture from the broken egg has soaked in and will start to stink. Not sanitary.
Gather your eggs more often.
I would completely clean out that nest box. I do see green egg shell pieces and lots of poop. Probably moisture from the broken egg has soaked in and will start to stink. Not sanitary.
Gather your eggs more often.
After I took the photo I cleaned the box. I had just cleaned the nesting box but someone must have slept in there last night. I will be better about getting eggs. Most of my girls are molting and broody so there hasn’t been a lot of eggs and it slipped past my mind I will be better about checking.

Back
Top Bottom