Broken egg under my broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KIWI CHICK, Nov 2, 2015.

1. KIWI CHICK

KIWI CHICK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Hubby and I came home from a week and a half away on holiday so my sons were babysitting the hens for me. 'Freckles' was clucky before we went so I gave her 10 eggs to sit on. When I lifted her up to check on her eggs, one of the eggs has broken and some of the remaining ones have dried yolk on them. Help...what do I do? Do I leave them as they are, or do I give them a wash to remove the mess? They have another 9 days to go before they are due to hatch. Thank you for any advice!

2. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    If there is just a tiny bit of dried yolk I may not wash the egg, but you do need to clean that nest box. You don't want ants or other pests coming in, that can drive off a broody or kill hatching chicks.

I would change the bedding but use caution when it comes to washing eggs. Has it completely dried? Can a bit be gently scraped off? If it is just a little bit of dried yolk on some eggs I might not mess with it. If you wash the entire egg you remove the bloom which protects the chick from germs.

Do you know how to candle eggs? Might be a good time to learn, there are plenty of youtube videos.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  3. KIWI CHICK

KIWI CHICK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Oops yes, I should have said that I put her in a nice clean new nest :)
    A couple of the eggs are pretty covered in the dried yolk so maybe tomorrow I will try and scrape it off. And yes, it's about time I learned to candle eggs! These eggs are PBR from my own flock. The girls are a few years old now and I haven't actually seen Artemis Fowle Jr do what he should be doing, so I may well be waiting in vain anyway!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by