Broken Egg

lfoose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Medina, OH
We have a broody hen and the other day I finally decided to allow her to sit on her egg.

Well, she will move out of the nestbox and let others lay their eggs there and then she'll sit on them too. Yesterday I checked under her and there were two eggs. Since I was unsure which was 'her' egg, I took both to try and candle. My hands were cold and one slipped out of my hand, fell to the ground and cracked.

In the yolk was a lot of vein like things. It reminded me of a bloodshot eye. In the middle of that was a red dot about the size of the head of a pencil. It was contracting like a tiny little heart.

Is that what I saw? I was near tears and felt just horrible when I saw that. Amazing to see, but sad too because I cracked the darn egg!
sad.png

Sorry to hear that it got broken but that is what you saw the veining and the eye or embryo ....

Oh that's to bad sorry to hear that. I would keep a crayon or pencil in the coop and next time you let her sit on one. Mark it with a X and that way you will know which is hers. That what I did with momma's eggs and I would just collect the others that were laid each day.

Back
Top Bottom