Broken eggs, clean-up?

KARy408

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Livermore, CA
One of my newbies laid two soft eggs in their run tonight, right on the ground where they spend most of their time (this makes 5 eggs in 1 day, a new record for my flock!).

Unfortunately I didn't notice until I was locking them up for the night, and they were already squashed, though still mostly clean, yokes in tact.

So my question is, how should I clean this up when this happens? I figure they can eat the eggs right? So I sprinkled some meal worms on top as I left, figuring they'll clean up the eggs for me. But now my husband thinks that will train them to eat their own eggs. Is this a bad idea? Also in the morning, if they haven't eaten the remains should I just hose it down and lay some new bedding? One egg was in front of their pool, the other near where they eat. What's the best way to ensure it all stays clean and healthy in there?

Okay so for anyone interested, I just looked and the golden girls did eat most the eggs up overnight, soft shells and all. One is totally gone, in the other spot I can see a bit of the egg white smeared into the ground. That's the part I'm still a but worries about though, as I don't want it festering in the heat of the day. Any ideas?
We had two regular eggs this morning as well. One rolled under a ramp, the other one is perfect, laid in their nest and hidden under some deep bedding.

Okay so for anyone interested, I just looked and the golden girls did eat most the eggs up overnight, soft shells and all. One is totally gone, in the other spot I can see a bit of the egg white smeared into the ground. That's the part I'm still a but worries about though, as I don't want it festering in the heat of the day. Any ideas?
We had two regular eggs this morning as well. One rolled under a ramp, the other one is perfect, laid in their nest and hidden under some deep bedding.
I'd wash any remaining egg away or your going to draw ants, and also predators that like to eat eggs. and I have heard that feeding any thing that resembles an egg back to those who laid them can trigger egg eating. I will eat egg shells but i crush them up first.

Back
Top Bottom