Broken Eggs? First Eggs?

Yes multiple soft eggs can be normal. My guess is the sensations and probably cramps as the eggs move down causes some to express them early. It can take a few weeks for some to straighten out and get used to it.

I don't feed layer anymore as I think it isn't enough protein. Layer is recommended to be fed as the sole ration. If you add anything extra to their diet, their daily protein can drop to deficiency levels. Young birds are still growing so keeping them on a non medicated grower or switching to an all flock ration is what I recommend. A separate dish of oyster shells will provide the extra calcium needs.

Thank you all so much for your responses. I have been putting out oyster shell since I was afraid they weren't getting sufficient calcium from starter alone but didn't want to risk the nonlayers eating layer feed.

Checked this morning and I got a normal egg with shell in our nesting boxes today. Hooray!

It can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out.
Meanwhile, eggs everywhere, some of them can be rather funky looking, soft or thin shelled, huge double yolked eggs.

Back
Top Bottom