Broken eggs in nest

AMoritz

Songster
Jul 12, 2018
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
One of my broody hens is sitting on about 20 eggs, at different stages (she was stealing eggs from the next nest over) :he and I didn't realize it til too late.
Any way, ive had a couple keets hatch out of the eggs in my incubator and I know the eggs the hen is sitting on is only a couple days behind.
When I went to check this morning to see if any hatched, I noticed an eggy smell. I moved her off the nest gently and there were at least 2 broken eggs in it, so the nest is a mess - smelly, gross, egg crap all over the other eggs AND I caught her pecking at the other eggs trying to get the egg reminents off. I'm afraid she's going to crack them open!!
Should I just put them in my incubator since it's all set up and ready with eggs already in it?
Or leave them and hope she doesn't break any more????:barnie

One of my broody hens is sitting on about 20 eggs, at different stages (she was stealing eggs from the next nest over) :he and I didn't realize it til too late.
Any way, ive had a couple keets hatch out of the eggs in my incubator and I know the eggs the hen is sitting on is only a couple days behind.
When I went to check this morning to see if any hatched, I noticed an eggy smell. I moved her off the nest gently and there were at least 2 broken eggs in it, so the nest is a mess - smelly, gross, egg crap all over the other eggs AND I caught her pecking at the other eggs trying to get the egg reminents off. I'm afraid she's going to crack them open!!
Should I just put them in my incubator since it's all set up and ready with eggs already in it?
Or leave them and hope she doesn't break any more????:barnie
I would clean the nest out. If you leave them they are likely to not hatch, flies are likely to lay eggs in the nest and the remaining eggs are likely to get a bacteria infection and spoil.

Back
Top Bottom