broken eggs in nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gambler, Sep 23, 2010.

1. gambler

gambler Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    western Pa
    I have 13 hens and just about every day I find at least one broken egg in the nesting boxes. Why do I have so many broken eggs? The boxes have 4 inches of wood shavings in them to give the eggs a soft landing.

2. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    They're breaking and eating them most likely. Put some ceramic eggs or golf balls in there. Make sure they are getting free choice oyster shell. It took care of my egg eater...

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Are you feeding oyster shell? Sometimes the egg shells are so thin the birds break them just moving around. Of course there is always the possibility that one of your birds is doing it--not eating the eggs exactly but just breaking them.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Do any cats have access to your nest boxes? They'll break an egg and eat it.

5. gambler

Sep 20, 2010
    western Pa
    yes I feed oyster shell. Today I had 3 broken eggs. each one was in a different nesting box but there were other eggs in those same boxes that weren't broken.

6. gambler

Sep 20, 2010
    western Pa
    Quote:No cat access.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What does the break look like? Is it a small puncture, maybe like a chicken pecked at it and broke it. A large hole? Is the whole egg crushed?

With one broken in each of three nests, it sounds like something is breaking them. I'd suspect a chicken or maybe a rat. Skunks and possums are possibilitie too and could be out during the daytime, but I'd expect them to be more likely to come around at night, especially possums. Rats will come out during the day.

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I recently found two of my birds eating egg in the run. Someone must have layed an egg out there. They ate the shell and were just working on the egg. I removed it immediately. A couple of days later I found an egg in the nest box that had obviously been pecked at. There was a hole in the shell but the membrane was still intact. I don't know who the culprit is. I'm hoping she'll stop. I use oyster shell and after reading this thread I'll put the golf balls back in the nest. I'd like to nip this in the bud!

9. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    In spite of how deep the straw was in the box one hen would scratch down to the hard pan and break the egg laying. My wife lined the bottom of the box with a double layer of rubber mesh shelf lining. Our problem was solved.

10. alexgman

alexgman New Egg

Sep 24, 2010
    Quote:May be the shell is not enough strong. It happen when your hen has calcium deficiency.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by