Broken eggs on coop floor

AmyRae

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 20, 2009
Rockville, MN
Recently we have been finding broken eggs on the floor of the coop in the morning, two yesterday and four today. Are my girls not finding the nests because it does not get light out as early as it used to? Will a light timer help?

If you have an egg eater...its not good. My coop has a mysterious egg eater. I am still trying to figure out who it is. It seems once an egg breaks and they get a taste of it then thats it. Even if you dont have an egg eater yet, you could end up with one if they eat the eggs that break on the floor.

Yes, they have been using the nests since the eggs started in September. We got 10 more girls that had just started laying once ours started and I suspect one of them is an egg eater. She seems to lurk around the coop and just looks suspicious. If this is the case, what do I do?

Before doing anything drastic, remove her and put her in a dog crate or something and see if it stops. If it is her, you'll have to cull her. You can't give her to someone else when she does that.

Good luck!

Shelly

Quote:
Sorry, but you've got to get rid of her! Don't give her away either. No one wants an egg eater! Do it yourself or get someone else to do it, but do it!

I've got an egg eater too, but it's my Sebbie goose and there is no way I'm getting rid of her. Soo what I'm trying is using golf balls in the nests where they normally eat the eggs. Hoping they will peck and peck and not get anything and give up the habit. On the weekends, I go into the coop often and get the eggs so they aren't in there for long periods to eat them. Also I've found when I free range for the whole day, I don't have issues on those days only the days I work and they have to stay in the run/coop area.

Really? This would be a first for me. She is looking kinda fat, maybe with dumplings? Seriously though I will play detective tomorrow (no work) and make sure I've got the right girl. What if more are doing it?

My SO just informed me it was an egg eating party in the coop this morning. UGHHH! Now what? He said culling would mean half the flock. I have 22 girls and have been getting 16 eggs per day. This is my first chicken experience and thought it was going so well
sad.png

Once in a while i would find one on the floor where they perch. I got them up a few minutes earlier every day with a timer, So far so good. They would eat an egg if it was broken, butmostly left them alone. Maybe, I just got lucky. good luck

Back
Top Bottom