Broken feathers and molting - again?

Quote:
yep...
they love warm water baths...my 2 adults grew up in the bathtub and got spoiled with their shower massage (duck hot-tub) . I still bath the little ones in the tub daily. keeps them clean and gives me opportunity to clean their pen well. When they get exceptionally grubby they get a small dose of soap then the rinse cycle..

Sounds like your duck trust you if he is willing to sit still on your lap.
That IS pretty cool, isn't it? Wait till you can find his soft spot and scratch/massage him to sleep....My drake melts over his beak getting scratched and his mate loves her neck gently rubbed.. Nothing better than to feel the bird relax as you hit the right spot and they literally melt...Buddy used to pass out in my arms and his head would hang straight down like a wet rag...

I always thought that it's pretty special to have these defenseless & timid animals trust me...100 times their size & weight. Would I trust something that much bigger than myself? doubtful...
As I pick one up and they calm down and relax, to me thats the best feeling in the world. This animal knows that its safe and secure. It took awhile....they did'nt always feel so comfy around me. But once that trust was established they can be certain that I'll never violate that and they will always be safe in my presence. They are very loyal and affectionate birds when they want to be.

Glad that you got some quality time in with Watson. He'll be back for more. They more time that you spend with him/them the more they learn to accept you and being touched by you. Remember, their 1st instinct in EVERY situation is to RUN. Thats how ducks survive. To have one willing to rest by sitting with you says alot.

If you don;t have a shower massage, get one ! They love that in the tub. The way ducks "play" with the various streams of water is hillarious...My big female will walk right up to the nozzel (water hose too) with her mouth wide open and drink from the spray ! She absolutely loves that and will do it all day...I keep waiting for the bird to blow up like a water ballon...but she does'nt. I'm assuming she does'nt swallow but I still can;t figure her excitement & desire to have water spray down her throat...water pik?

Mine are so spoiled that they line up when they see the water hose and inside they jump from my grasp to hit the bath tub...I've learned the hard way to always have water in there if I'm holding a duck....the sound of hitting the empty tub...not good.

You'll do well with them...Nothing really wrong with a spoiled duck except that its yours for life and when protected I hear they can live between 10 and 20 years !
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom