BROKEN FEATHERS - DEPLUMING MITES-MANGE- ANSWERS!

This looks like feather mites to me. Very difficult to get rid off, all birds have them to some degree. I did this...Ivermectin Pour On, 10 drops on the back of neck skin, once a week for a few weeks. Use Probiotics during and after to help boost the immune system. These feathers will look ratty until the bird molts in the fall. These mites live up in the feathers and come down to the skin only after consuming a feather, looking for another feather to consume. The Ivermectin will only kill these invisible pests when they get onto the skin. They don't lay eggs but give birth to live mites.
Are feather mites and depluming mites the same thing?

Thank you so much. Been frustrated and it’s nice to at least have some answers.
These mites are so annoying and destructive to the flock, and of course it's never good to use harsh chemicals if you don't have to, but I really don't think there is any other way but to keep working on the flock with Ivermectin. I thoroughly believe that those birds with weak immune systems or very young birds, no fault of yours, are very susceptible to an outbreak of these mites. Nearly all birds have a few of them or will come in contact with them over their lives. But healthier birds can control the population of them. So do all you can with a healthy diet, probiotics and maybe a squirt of Poultry Cell (a vitamin supplement) a couple times a week. After the fall molt, they should look better and have healthier skin to help repel these things. At least this is my theory.

These mites are so annoying and destructive to the flock, and of course it's never good to use harsh chemicals if you don't have to, but I really don't think there is any other way but to keep working on the flock with Ivermectin. I thoroughly believe that those birds with weak immune systems or very young birds, no fault of yours, are very susceptible to an outbreak of these mites. Nearly all birds have a few of them or will come in contact with them over their lives. But healthier birds can control the population of them. So do all you can with a healthy diet, probiotics and maybe a squirt of Poultry Cell (a vitamin supplement) a couple times a week. After the fall molt, they should look better and have healthier skin to help repel these things. At least this is my theory.
Guess I should treat them all even if no feather damage. Appreciate your info and help.?

I’ve got poultry cell , will break that out to give them a good boost. Got probiotics in water now. Poor girls.

Guess I should treat them all even if no feather damage. Appreciate your info and help.?
Unless you see damage on the others, I would hold off using Ivermectin, let them naturally protect themselves. Should you see any signs later on down the road, you can treat them as well.
I’ve got poultry cell , will break that out to give them a good boost. Got probiotics in water now. Poor girls.
Perfect! On these you definitely want to treat the entire flock, keep everybody healthy.

Good luck!

I'm starting this new thread in hopes of helping more hens and reaching out to stymied chicken owners. The original thread title is below and contains 8 pages of posts including photos.

Basically, if you have never seen a mite on your bird, yet it has broken off feathers or is being steadily deplumed from the the tail to the head, your bird might have mange. Someone on the previous thread posted the name of it which escapes me now. I am hoping my lengthy experience will help someone. There's just not enough information out there.

It's been about 4 years now for my poor chickens with the mites. I just wanted to give an update for whomever is interested or needs more information. This thread can be found under "Broken feathers mites if you are experiencing this please read."

1.Our hens were treated for mites (that I never saw) for 2 endless years. You name the product, I've tried it. No relief.
2. culled 15 hens who had mites, left 15 who didn't, to see if they'd get it anyway. (checking to see how it was spreading)
3. the ones who didn't have mites wound up getting them eventually.
4. treated with lime sulfur dip weekly and was terribly discouraged that it didn't seem to do anything.(but keep reading)
5. Made two separate flocks: the "older" girls who always had mites, and the "new" girls who never had them, in 2 separate coops.
6. the "older girls grew new feathers in the winter and now look beautiful! They've been mite-free for 6 months, hallelujah. These are the same hens who were dipped weekly.
7. the "new" girls (28 of them) now are the mangiest bunch of chickens you've ever seen. Sigh. The only contact they had with the other flock was the roosters fighting through the fence. But I did see Juncos in their feeders a lot. No mice like in the other coop.
8. I am convinced the LimePlus Dip from Dechra on Amazon is the key and am going to dip and re-dip all 44 birds next month when it warms up.
9. If you've never seen a mite, yet your chickens are being deplumed, I guarantee it's mange. SULFUR DIP MAY BE YOUR ANSWER.
Look back on previous posts in the above-mentioned thread and you will see photos I posted of how to dip the birds.
I am interested in hearing your stories, hopefully success stories! I'll get notified if you reply to this thread.
Frontline (a dog and cat spray) actually works really well!! I’ve had serious cases of mites and lice in my rehab center and this always works a charm and is safe! I’ll see if I can find a picture of my worst case

Unless you see damage on the others, I would hold off using Ivermectin, let them naturally protect themselves. Should you see any signs later on down the road, you can treat them as well.

Perfect! On these you definitely want to treat the entire flock, keep everybody healthy.

Good luck!
Went to vet and she said my chickens looked great, didn’t have mites but were molting

8817C2AC-DDFA-4B0B-89D5-8691BF9C93E6.jpeg

This is a severe case of mites I had brought in to me from the wild. Frontline cured it

Back
Top Bottom