broken feathers, mites *if you are experiencing this, PLEASE READ*

Do these look like the work of feather mites, feather lice, or just picking? The white feathers on my rooster's neck and tail seem to be the only effected. These pics are from several weeks ago. Now his neck is raw and red and his tail is eaten down to the shafts. I have two black hens as well and only one of them is showing minimal feather loss on her neck, otherwise, neither show any indication of infestation. I haven't noticed any of them scratching a lot either. Earlier this summer there was a hatch of something like red spider or clover mites in a tree out there, but I understand they don't attack animals and I haven't seen them on the birds. So far I've tried Seven dust, DE & oils. Just need some confirmation that it looks like I'm actually dealing with mites before I continue with the other suggestions from this post. Thank you!

I'm sorry I'm not experienced enough to diagnose your chickens; also, my sense from reading around is that it can be difficult to tell what is causing feather loss sometimes. (I just learned about "broody patches," which, who knew? Not I.) But one thought I had is that since the sulfur is nontoxic to you, your birds, and other wildlife and pollinators, you might want to just consider doing the bath and figuring you don't lose anything by doing it. It's not like committing to introducing a synthetic pesticide into your environment. I did get a message from a poster on another thread that she had good results with sulfur. I know it's all anecdotal, and everyone's experiences are different, but aside from the hassle of actually bathing the chicken, you don't really lose anything by giving it a try, and maybe it will make him feel more comfortable? Just a suggestion, of course -- not trying to boss around!
smile.png
Totally understand why you would want to confirm a diagnosis before acting.

Since the rooster can't reach his own neck to pick, either one of the other hens is doing it or he has mites/lice. I couldn't tell from your picture about the feather problems on his tail. I've had chickens with broken off feathers as well as feathers eaten away so that only the shaft is showing. I believe it's due to critters but I can't seem to get it under control. We've actually built a whole new coop that has a bare minimum of wood, so that nothing can live in it but the birds. Good luck!

Hi,
well its a couple of months down the line and just to let everyone on this thread know re: time etc. For 2 months I dusted with the sulphuric powder once a week. That seemed to have no effect so I then read up and started dusting with diatomaceous earth up to 3 times a week for the whole of October.
Unfortunately none of this helped, the infected birds got worse and its spread to a third hen. Its awful as the poor girls are getting sunburnt on the exposed skin.
At least the weather is hot now to try the sulphur dip.
Please hold thumbs!

Hi,
well its a couple of months down the line and just to let everyone on this thread know re: time etc. For 2 months I dusted with the sulphuric powder once a week. That seemed to have no effect so I then read up and started dusting with diatomaceous earth up to 3 times a week for the whole of October.
Unfortunately none of this helped, the infected birds got worse and its spread to a third hen. Its awful as the poor girls are getting sunburnt on the exposed skin.
Please hold thumbs!
Did you try ivermectrin? (i think spelled like that). If not i'd give that a go since its just drops you put on them. I used it and everyone is back to normal and they molted and the feathers are still looking good :)

Hi,
Please hold thumbs!

I had to use Sevin Dust on my rooster with this problem. The sulfur dip worked on everyone but him. He went through a mild molt & looks great now.

It's been about 4 years now for my poor chickens with the mites. But I just wanted to give an update for whomever is interested or needs more information.

1. hens were treated for mites that I never saw for 2 endless years. You name the product, I've tried it, No relief.

2. culled 15 hens who had mites, left 15 who didn't.

3. the ones who didn't have mites wound up getting them eventually.

4. treated with lime sulfur dip weekly and was terribly discouraged that it didn't seem to do anything.

5. we have two separate flocks now: the "older" girls who always had mites, and the "new" girls who never had them.

6. the "older girls grew new feathers in the winter and now look beautiful! They've been mite-free for 6 months, hallelujah. These are the same hens who were dipped weekly.

7. the "new" girls (28 of them) now are the mangiest bunch of chickens you've ever seen. Sigh. The only contact they had with the other flock was the roosters fighting through the fence. But I did see Juncos in their feeders a lot. No mice like in the other coop.

8. I am convinced the LimePlus Dip from Dechra is the key and am going to dip and re-dip all 44 birds next month when it warms up.

9. If you've never seen a mite, yet your chickens are being deplumed, I guarantee it's mange. Sulfur dip may be your answer.

Look back on previous posts in this thread and you will see photos I posted of how to dip the birds.

I only have three chickens, all of whom have a bare red butt and bald spots under their wings, including the rooster. I have never seen them picking each other in that area. I had a fourth hen who died recently and I was sure had mites; she had the dirty feathers around the vent and had stopped laying.

I've been dithering about the Spinosad solution because of the expense. Also, the manufacturer says it is ONLY for northern fowl mites. Would it really work on these depluming lights?

I only have three chickens, all of whom have a bare red butt and bald spots under their wings, including the rooster. I have never seen them picking each other in that area. I had a fourth hen who died recently and I was sure had mites; she had the dirty feathers around the vent and had stopped laying.

I've been dithering about the Spinosad solution because of the expense. Also, the manufacturer says it is ONLY for northern fowl mites. Would it really work on these depluming lights?

The sulfur dip didn't work on my bird, like I posted. I ended up having to dust him with Seven Dust and it worked. His tail is back to normal. So when my other white feathered rooster started showing similar signs as the other, I just immediately dusted him & skipped the dip. It was a waste of money for me, I the end, but I'm glad I at least tried it. Might turn out to work for other stuff later on.

I'll have to keep Sevin Dust in mind! Permetrhin dust and spray were ineffective for us. We dipped our 28 chickens at three intervals just recently. But I can't see an immediate response since they won't grow new feathers till the fall. My other flock who had mites for three years and were dipped last summer do not have mites this year, so I'm hopeful. My chickens look like naked necks because the mites ate all the way up to their heads. Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom