Broken Foot?

beckyT

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
We noticed yesterday that one of my 4 week old chicks was not setting weight on its right foot, I separated her and she seems to be getting worse. She is lying on he side with that foot curled up. Her breathing is labored. Is there anything I can do?

regardless of what caused (of which I have no idea ) she is probably getting dehydrated as she cannot reach the waterer in that condition...put some electrolytes (if you do not have the proper electrolytes for birds then pedialyte or even gatorade will do in a pinch) in the water and dribble some alongsode her beak regularly to rehydrate. Could it be an injury?

im not sure if it was an injury or not. she was getting to the food and water yesterday, very slowly...if it is an injury do i just wait and see what happens?

Just as a sign of hope...

I have a full grown BO hen that broke her toes as a young chick. After carefully watching her when it happened, she pulled through well.

Now I just call her "Mrs. Broke-toe" lol

She walks with a closed fist on one foot and does well.

any bird not feeling well will often stop drinking and eating (even if they can get to it) so keep dribbling water along side her beak regularly and concentrate her nutrition (feed) with Aviacharge 2000 or another general poultry nutritional/vit supplement or if you can get it from your petstore add some baby parrot handfeeding formula to her feed (this is a powder you add water to)

she died
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom