Broken hearted tonight we lost our one duck

New duck mommy 2021

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Oct 19, 2021
Medicine Hat , alberta , Canada
I’m wondering if anyone has had this happen to them
My girl was fine this morning. I only have 3 ducks so it’s easy for me to tell what’s going on with each duck
I went out after lunch to give them a treat and she didn’t come running over. I had to help her out of the pond. She felt very stiff. She took about 10 steps and fell over. Her legs went straight out behind her and she tried moving with her wings. I thought maybe my drake had hurt her while mating at first. I brought her in the house and put her in the smaller duck house I have. She was eating and drinking and within a half hour was standing on her feet and walking slowly. I left her in there to get better. At supper I went to check on her and she was standing she took a few steps and collapsed again legs straight out behind her. She was unable to get up. I brought her upstairs and kept her on my lap I noticed her beak and feet felt really hot. I called my breeder to see if she had any ideas. I couldn’t find any injuries
I called the vet and she was tied up with other emergencies so it took a few hours for her to see her. By the time we got there she was panting , really warm , drooling and her body was very stiff. The vet looked her over and thought maybe tetanus as she was so stiff.
she went to get medication and Fluids for her
My duck was laying down but with her head and neck upright. I was rubbing her face and I could feel her getting stiff in the neck. Within minutes she passed away still fully upright
I’m so confused by all of this. Her head and neck never fell over. Her eyes were still open
We are so heartbroken right now.
my other two seem just fine.
its my girl on the left.

Attachments

• 18C05D3B-FEE9-431F-9160-0FB6ACE87B82.jpeg
    18C05D3B-FEE9-431F-9160-0FB6ACE87B82.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 28
My condolences on the loss of your girl. She looks like she was a sweetheart. :hugs

I lost several ducks to what I believe was toxic blue-green algae (cyanotoxin) last summer. All were healthy, and then one morning, I found a duck dead in the coop; soon after, others experienced paralysis. Per DuckDVM, blue-green algae blooms also increase the risk of botulism. If you're in a warm and humid area, I'd look suspiciously at standing water that your ducks may be able to access.

Without a necropsy, we'll just be guessing at the cause, though - can you send her to your state lab for a definitive diagnosis?

My condolences on the loss of your girl. She looks like she was a sweetheart. :hugs

I lost several ducks to what I believe was toxic blue-green algae (cyanotoxin) last summer. All were healthy, and then one morning, I found a duck dead in the coop; soon after, others experienced paralysis. Per DuckDVM, blue-green algae blooms also increase the risk of botulism. If you're in a warm and humid area, I'd look suspiciously at standing water that your ducks may be able to access.

Without a necropsy, we'll just be guessing at the cause, though - can you send her to your state lab for a definitive diagnosis?
I live in Alberta Canada and it’s been cool here so no algae in the fall ( summer i did get some but cleaned it often )
I have a filter system on the pond and clean the pond and filter out twice a week. I also have 3 water dishes I clean 3-4 times a day depending how much mud they get in it
It’s very stressful not knowing what happened as I worry for my other two now as well.
thank you for the kind words and possible reasons.

I am so sorry about your girl, and I understand how horrible it is to both lose a duck and to not know why.

In the past week, I've lost two of my original runner ducks. In both cases, a day apart, they were fine in the morning when I let them out of their shelter. One was lying dead in the shelter by midday; the next day, my beloved Quinn didn't come in for dinner, and I found her out in the yard. No predation, nothing obvious. They were older, and the weather had suddenly turned cold. wet and unwelcoming. I have no idea if that was a factor.

It's frustrating when you want to protect them, but you don't know what to do, what to look for, what to keep them away from.

Necropsy, I learned from a previous experience with the state lab, is expensive, too far away for me, and takes longer than would be useful to save anyone else in the flock -- in my experience. It's a good option if you simply HAVE to know what happened, for your own peace of mind.

All my other ducks are fine, although I now obsessively count them every time I go outside.

I hope your other ducks are doing well. You have my heartfelt condolences.

I am so sorry about your girl, and I understand how horrible it is to both lose a duck and to not know why.

In the past week, I've lost two of my original runner ducks. In both cases, a day apart, they were fine in the morning when I let them out of their shelter. One was lying dead in the shelter by midday; the next day, my beloved Quinn didn't come in for dinner, and I found her out in the yard. No predation, nothing obvious. They were older, and the weather had suddenly turned cold. wet and unwelcoming. I have no idea if that was a factor.

It's frustrating when you want to protect them, but you don't know what to do, what to look for, what to keep them away from.

Necropsy, I learned from a previous experience with the state lab, is expensive, too far away for me, and takes longer than would be useful to save anyone else in the flock -- in my experience. It's a good option if you simply HAVE to know what happened, for your own peace of mind.

All my other ducks are fine, although I now obsessively count them every time I go outside.

I hope your other ducks are doing well. You have my heartfelt condolences.
Thank you
I’m sorry for your loss as well
It really is hard not knowing
I’m going to keep my other two out of the pen this morning and clean everything out just in case it’s something in there or something they could catch.
many of my friends don’t understand it’s just like loosing a cat or dog. They become part of the family. They each have their own little personalities

Back
Top Bottom