1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broken hen's beak-OK?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emadden, Jun 30, 2007.

1. emadden

emadden New Egg

Jun 30, 2007
    My hen fell and broke the tip off the top part of her beak. There was a little bit of blood and a layer of the beak above the broken part also peeled off, but that part looks OK now. Her top beak is now shorter than her bottom beak and although she is eating her feed, she has trouble eating any greens or other produce because she can't tear it with the top of her beak. Will the beak grow back? Is there anything I can do? Is she going to be OK?

Thanks.

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

The beak should grow back...it's made of the same thing as finger nails. Just tear up her veggies smaller. She should be fine.

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Just agreeing with spotted crow, it will grow back and chop her veggies really small for her. [​IMG]

4. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Wow, I didn't realize their beaks were so fragile! [​IMG]
    Glad to know in case it ever happens to one of mine... [​IMG]

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    poor thing...when it heals a bit more you can gently file it with a dremel or such ... any sharp uneven edges might get " caught" on something and split the beak which can then be quite problematic to repair...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by