Broken jaw? Sprained neck?

settingdusk

Songster
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Hampton Roads, Virginia
Well one of my buff orpingtons almost got crushed. When I found it her mouth was open slightly, she was breathing heavy and her head was kind of droopy. She would not open her eyes until this morning. I went to work and came back. She is obviously hungry and her crop is still empty. I took a large eyedropper and gave her water then tried to prepare wet food for her. She moves her tongue and swallows but does not seem to be able to close or open her mouth. She wants to peck but does so just barely and does not pick anything up. Should I give her a mercy blow to the back of the head or feed her (tube/dropper) and hope she improves? I don't want her to suffer but if I can save her I will. She's a bit over 2 months. If I grab her head she squints when I try to check out her beak or close her mouth. Her activity is perfectly normal other then that, I think her head may have gotten mashed. My chicks always want to sleep on the stairs.

Well I gave her two superworms after I crushed their heads so my pullet would not get injured. I had to kind of slide them halfway down her throat so she could swallow them. I also fed her as much liquid medicated chick feed mash as I could which is a very messy process. It is so hard to fill her crop. I hope I can save her. For now my girlfriend wants to try and see if the jaw will heal. If Chee Chee starts to look weak I will have to put her down.

Well, I have helped her make it through day 2. Me and my girl hold and feed her by hand. We crush the heads of superworms and feed her two every feeding because she eats them well. We just slide them in her mouth a ways and she does the rest. We also made whole grain wheat bread "worms" and fed her some of that. The wet mash is hard to get her to eat. I want to tube her but my girl insists we can do it without being invasive. I think we did a pretty good job of filling her crop. Its not full but at least we get some in there. Poor Chee Chee wants to eat stuff so bad. She runs around trying to peck stuff and slobbers a little. Then the tip of her beak gets dirty. Its so sad. I hope her jaw heals. She seems to move it a little.

Chee Chee has a sprained jaw. GOOD NEWS!!! She is eating feed on her own, YAY! She still has problems breaking stuff up, everything has to be bite size but at least I don't have to put her down. Her crop was full for the first time this morning so I did not have to hand feed her.

Back
Top Bottom