Broken jaw?

TheNuttyChick

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2012
CT

My 17 week old Icelandic cockrel.
Is there anything I can do to fix his jaw?
Not sure if it is broken, but has been like this for about a week.
He used to run away from me but now hops on my lap so I can make sure he eats and drinks.
Any suggestions?​

He has the start of a crossbeak. It is likely genetic, so I would not use him as breed stock because it is frequently worse in subsequent generations. It is a condition affecting the beak, facial bones and musculature of the face that usually starts at a young age and progresses until the bird reaches its full skeletal growth. Birds that have crossbeak can be mildly afflicted or horribly deformed. Prognosis is based on severity with mildly afflicted birds living a full life span with no interventions necessary, but deformed birds living a short span and succumbing to starvation unless tube fed.

At his age he will do very well. He is very mildly afflicted and the progression should stop in the next few weeks. Some deep feed and water dishes so he can scoop his sustenance into him should be the only thing necessary for him to live a full life span. He may not even need those because he is so mildly afflicted.

I hope this helps. Good luck with him.

He was fine before, I wish he didn't always run away, I may have noticed this sooner. There are 2 other cockrels in the coop with him(brothers), so I have no clue if it was an injury or genetic.
He seems to be doing OK so far.​

Back
Top Bottom