Broken leg, 12 week old pullet.

CheekyMare

Songster
8 Years
Oct 22, 2011
Western Highway, Belize
I have a Chick with a broken leg, The break seems to be on the long leg bone just ablove the foot. Completely non weight bearing. I wrapped the leg in a soft cast with gauze and vetwrap, but I'm wondering what are its chances. It was a closed break, but I have no idea how it happened. Could have been pig, goat, horse or human. No one is speaking up. I have a place I can keep it, but if I do give it a chance I think it will need re wrapping.

Does anyone have experience with this type of break or treatment protocols? I don't want to waste time on a lost cause and cause more suffering, but if it has a good chance to lead a productive laying life I wouldn't mind trying.

There are a number of threads here of people saving chickens with broken legs. Here's a very long one, a really difficult (awful) case that turned out beautifully in the end.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/592958/car-vs-rooster-can-he-be-saved

If you search for "broken leg" you'll find other, shorter ones. I think some of the key things were a splint (not wrapped too tight), antibiotics, careful feeding and keeping her isolated from the others in a quiet, calm, semi-dark location until she heals. Some people set up "slings", like a hammock to support the body.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Last edited:
I have never had to deal with a broken leg yet but I have read lots of threads on it. Just in case, and most say to do just what your doing. keep the leg immobilized and change the dressing when needed to keep infection away. Chickens heal very quickly from what I've read it will only take about 2 to 3 weeks. Good Luck! and keep us posted

Thanks, so far it seems to be getting along ok. I have it in the stable with the blind chick. I checked the toes and they're warm. (there was no compound fracture so I want to leave it for a few days to let the bone fix) I thought about killing it, but I thought it should be given the chance.(like the blind chick)

Last edited:
Yeah, but the cement sucks a lot of heat so I would expect that. It was a normal kind of warm. It's eating well and getting around ok. It even got up on a plastic chair seat the last two nights to roost.

For Lucky's break (the car vs rooster thread) I kept his splint on for 6 weeks...you want to be certain the bones set and heal. I also upped his calcium by adding crushed eggshell and chopped up spinach to his scrambled eggs to aid in bone growth. Good luck and way to give a chick a chance! :)

For Lucky's break (the car vs rooster thread) I kept his splint on for 6 weeks...you want to be certain the bones set and heal. I also upped his calcium by adding crushed eggshell and chopped up spinach to his scrambled eggs to aid in bone growth. Good luck and way to give a chick a chance! :)

Weird... I was sure I replied to this hours ago...

*re-replys*

Thanks Orphan, these chicks are a combination of waste consumers, egg/meat producers, and entertainment for me so I figure I won't go broke giving a couple of them a helping hand.(especially if I think they might be hens) My yard has never been so much fun to sit in before!

I think I'm full now until I cull some roosters for soup and I'm hoping to wait till they're a bit bigger. I'm going to have to cull at least 30 roosters and I'm not looking forward to it, but I'll make it as quick as I can.

I unwrapped the leg last night and it seems to have fixed reasonably straight. I don't know how much joint mobility it will have, but it should be able to stand alright. I rewrapped the leg without wrapping above the leg joint this time just to keep the chick from bearing weight on the leg and we'll see how it looks in another week.

Back
Top Bottom