Broken leg/Drifting asleep/Drooping wing

This is her, and a close up of her foot. Another thing I forgot to mention is that she sometimes drools and she tends to lift her head up and start panting (It's hot where I am but she usually doesn't do this).
63EE3BE8-2CE2-4C60-8E5D-3CCAA7AF5788.jpeg
53EC010D-AC26-47FE-8683-FC0E89CE661F.jpeg

Sebright 3 days ago broke her leg, ever since I've kept her separate in a cage with food and water. Her broken leg has got to a point she can't move, her left wing is drooping and she is continuously drifting off to sleep.

She's around 10 months, I'll take some photos now of her. I can't feel a break, and I haven't tried splinting yet. She's had fresh food and feed, and she's been drinking water. I don't think the vet would be an option, as I live far away from the closet one.

She didn't break her bone. She hurt it when my large rooster attempted to mount her, I hadn't realized until morning, and when I did realize she had fell of a high roost onto the ground.

This is her, and a close up of her foot. Another thing I forgot to mention is that she sometimes drools and she tends to lift her head up and start panting (It's hot where I am but she usually doesn't do this).
View attachment 2654712View attachment 2654714
She is not well at all and she's not "fine".
Keep her separated. Even IF she recovers, she should not be with a large rooster. Plan on having housing for her.

The drooling is very concerning.
Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
She may have suffered severe injury from the rooster and falling, hard to know.
The way she is laying and some of her other symptoms reminds me of Marek's disease. Could be stress induced symptoms.

I would get some B-Complex and give her 1/4 tablet a day. Make sure she's drinking well and eating.
Placing her in a sling may help keep her more upright and comfortable if she will tolerate it. She does need to be monitored while in the sling.
Give her a few days to see if she improves.

She is not well at all and she's not "fine".
Keep her separated. Even IF she recovers, she should not be with a large rooster. Plan on having housing for her.

The drooling is very concerning.
Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
She may have suffered severe injury from the rooster and falling, hard to know.
The way she is laying and some of her other symptoms reminds me of Marek's disease. Could be stress induced symptoms.

I would get some B-Complex and give her 1/4 tablet a day. Make sure she's drinking well and eating.
Placing her in a sling may help keep her more upright and comfortable if she will tolerate it. She does need to be monitored while in the sling.
Give her a few days to see if she improves.

Thank you, she's free ranged so she is usually far away from the large rooster but one day he just random chased and mounted her. Her crop is emptying every night, I've already checked her, her beak smells fine. She's eating right now and I make sure she drinks. I'll try the sling, she's lying down normally now. I'll see if I can buy B-Complex.

Last edited:
Thank you, she's free ranged so she is usually far away from the large rooster but one day he just random chased and mounted her. Her crop is emptying every night, I've already checked her, her beak smells fine. She's eating right now and I make sure she drinks. I'll try the sling, she's lying down normally now. I'll see if I can buy B-Complex.
Has she laid her first egg yet? If she lays eggs, she might be egg bound or have an egg broken in her? I had an aggressive rooster and even After mounting he would just stand on the hen and she would be pressed to the ground, this led to too much pressure on her and an egg broke inside her which caused her to limp, pant, and more, and she eventually died a few days later because of this

Any chance she ate something moldy or rotten?

Has she laid her first egg yet? If she lays eggs, she might be egg bound or have an egg broken in her? I had an aggressive rooster and even After mounting he would just stand on the hen and she would be pressed to the ground, this led to too much pressure on her and an egg broke inside her which caused her to limp, pant, and more, and she eventually died a few days later because of this
She's laid eggs before, it might be that she's egg bound or the egg broke, she flaps a lot when I pick her up, and she tries walking with her one good leg, I'll keep an eye on her.
Any chance she ate something moldy or rotten?
She might've eaten something moldy or rotten.

Get her hydrated and get the vitamins into, see how she does for a day or so.
It doesn't look like her leg is broken, they look paralyzed.
I've just given her water, I've also given her the B-Complex, should I try any other vitamins? I've never had an egg bound hen before so I don't know what else to do.

I've just given her water, I've also given her the B-Complex, should I try any other vitamins? I've never had an egg bound hen before so I don't know what else to do.
if she has an egg broken in her or she’s egg bound, she would have trouble pooping as everything comes out of one hole basically. She would either not poop or have very small liquids poop. If a hen is egg bound or has a egg broken in her, people give the chickens calm soothing bath in warm water with some epsom salt mixed in it for around 20 minutes. She needs to be calm in the bath And probably hold her down a little so the water is up to her vent. You should maybe also rub vaseline around her vent area as a lubricant so the pieces can slide out easier if an egg is possibly broken in her. if she has an egg broken in her, it most likely won’t fix after 1 bath, you would probably have to give her a few baths throughout the day or in the span of a week. I’d say throughout the week because she could possibly get cold if she’s too wet. Good luck and you should probably watch videos of it to get a better understanding

Back
Top Bottom