Broken leg/Drifting asleep/Drooping wing

Can you wipe away the white bit - it may just be debris.

I'm sorry that she's getting worse.
It's hard to know what's going on with her, but if it's disease like Marek's she may worsen more.
The spreading of the wings is usually not due to heat, it's a progression of illness.
I tried wiping the white bit, I didn't try to pull it off incase it might hurt her. Thank you for the information about the wings, I'll show photos of her daily. She's stopped drooling now and isn't panting as much, she's just quite tired and falling asleep a lot.

Well she survived the night, I honestly expected the worst when I went to get her out, last afternoon she looked like she might die at any minute. I moved her to a sling, and realized her leg was twitching, this probably isn't a good sign, any idea what it might be?
4A2D6F20-22A3-48D7-87B0-A71BF2BCEDAA.jpeg
03B64E0B-133D-44C8-85AD-8D05E7CD9FE1.jpeg

Sorry about your sebright. It would be hard to know for sure what the cause is, whether an injury or Mareks, but I do agree that Mareks disease should be considered. It tends to affect sebrights and silkies more commonly. It strikes in young birds, and if it is Mareks, all of your birds would be carriers, so that would be good to know. In what country are you located? Here is some good information on Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Sorry about your sebright. It would be hard to know for sure what the cause is, whether an injury or Mareks, but I do agree that Mareks disease should be considered. It tends to affect sebrights and silkies more commonly. It strikes in young birds, and if it is Mareks, all of your birds would be carriers, so that would be good to know. In what country are you located? Here is some good information on Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
I also do agree that it might be Marek's disease, she's lost weight and her leg is unable to be moved in any way besides twitching. I'm located in Costa Rica. Thanks for the information on Marek's it is quite useful.

Well here she is today, she survived another night somehow. She made noise when I picked her up to move her to the sling, she's eating more. She is quite tired and almost always asleep, but she still reacts when something touches her, and her leg isn't twitching. It's just that in the afternoon she becomes really inactive, could it be that the reason why is that in the afternoon it gets a lot hotter?
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Just realized she had this scab or something on her hurt foot, can't tell if it it's a scab, it's quite hard so I didn't think it would be dirt but it might be, any idea what it may be?
IMG_8285.jpg

The scab looks like an injury. It may or may not be causing a problem. When birds become lame, they don’t get enough to eat and drink. It has always been hard for me to tell inflammation by feeling heat in body parts. Most people cannot know whether their chicken has Mareks until testing can be done, in a lab, or after death with a necropsy. I had a 7 year old hen who was vaccinated for Mareks, went down and became unbalanced for about 5 weeks. She did recover and was able to walk all over the yard, but had some balance issues. She died about 18 months later, and had cancer and lash egg material inside her abdomen, which could have caused her problem. We just never know for sure.

She survived yet another night, I won't question how, yesterday she looked as if she could've died whenever. She ate some food and now she's asleep. I've realized she usually shuts one eye and not the other.
image0 (1).jpeg
image1 (1).jpeg

I would suspect Marek's disease, but unless you lose her and have testing it would be hard to know.

I would work on giving her some vitamin therapy. Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little scrambled egg. Do what you can to keep her drinking and offer her normal feed.

I would suspect Marek's disease, but unless you lose her and have testing it would be hard to know.

I would work on giving her some vitamin therapy. Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little scrambled egg. Do what you can to keep her drinking and offer her normal feed.
I've started giving her scrambled egg, I'll try giving Vitamin E and B-Complex. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom