Broken leg on chick?

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
I need some help. My broody Japanese bantam hen was on a pet taxi crate and landed on one of her chicks minutes ago. (about a week old)
Instantly the chick (Twinkie) began to hobble and spread her week out when trying to walk, shes trying to avoid any pressure she can and is mostly laying down. Twinkie is the smallest of them all and i feel horrible. I had a chick stepped on by the mom and i put a splint type thing that looked like this.
27066B31-C2FB-482F-A221-175E6912C9DD.jpeg
However, that chick was a little older and the leg went sideways almost like a spraddle leg, and i don’t think this chick does. Just holding it up i think.

I took the chick out and she made a huge fuss for her mom, screaming loudly. Though didn’t make much of a attempt to get to her. She laid down most of the time and i think her foot might have a bit of swelling though i didn’t get a lot of time to look. Her wing doesn’t look that great either unless she’s spreading it out for balance.
What should i do? Should i wait? Do the splint thing? I really don’t want to separate her because it breaks my heart and i don’t have a brooder set up. Thank you.

This was a stress event. Sometimes stress can cause what appear to be injuries, but are just results of stress. You do not need to rush to treat the leg until you've had time to observe the chick.

Do treat the stress, though. Give the chick access to warm sugar water as its sole water source for the next 24 hours. Sometimes this resolves the physical symptoms.

This was a stress event. Sometimes stress can cause what appear to be injuries, but are just results of stress. You do not need to rush to treat the leg until you've had time to observe the chick.

Do treat the stress, though. Give the chick access to warm sugar water as its sole water source for the next 24 hours. Sometimes this resolves the physical symptoms.
Thanks so much. Swapping the water now, will 1/4 cup sugar and 1 cup water work?

More like one teaspoon sugar to one cup water, but it needn't be precise. If you have Poultry Nutri-drench, put a squirt of it in the water.

More like one teaspoon sugar to one cup water, but it needn't be precise. If you have Poultry Nutri-drench, put a squirt of it in the water.
Today she seems normal and is riding on moms back. I think this worked! If not perfect, she is definitely improving.

Back
Top Bottom