Broken leg

amanda223

Songster
Mar 22, 2017
A friend of mine gave me three silkies. They are 8 weeks old. One has a broken leg. She told me
It's been like that since he was a week old and she just hoped it would heal He seems happy enough but is defiantly smaller then the other two. He eats, drinks and hops around. But he does sit in the corner a lot of the time. He's also getting pecked. Anything I can do for him?

Has it been set back in place or is the leg still crooked like it was when it broke? If it's still crooked then there is a bunch of YouTube videos on how to set a chicks leg after being broken or you can go to a chicken vet and have a professional do it for you. After it is set just feed it food and water and some extra nutrient supplements like pedialyte per gallon of drinking water and many others. Hope the leg gets healed!!!

It might not be broken it could be a splayed leg i have had chicks like this.you can fix it by doing this.I also gave you a video on how to do it.
SilPolChik6DHobbled.JPEG

A friend of mine gave me three silkies. They are 8 weeks old. One has a broken leg. She told me
It's been like that since he was a week old and she just hoped it would heal He seems happy enough but is defiantly smaller then the other two. He eats, drinks and hops around. But he does sit in the corner a lot of the time. He's also getting pecked. Anything I can do for him?
can you show me a picture it might help me know weather its broken or splayed leg.you have to fix it fast mine have died from this before. I also recommend separating him/her from the other chicks with its own heat lamp and food /water so it does not get pecked

IMG_4702.JPG
Here's a picture. I'm going to check out that video. Would it be too late if he's been like this for 7 weeks?

I would try it out. I started my chickens the first week but as long as he is getting food and water with his cast he should be fine.Also make sure you have a water dish small so he does not drowned i had one that drowned from a bigger water dish 1st is to big.use the small one shallow one
23696PL.jpg

I ended up treating her for splayed leg and she did okay for a bit. She was eating, drinking and kinda hopping around. But the leg was not healing fully. She ended up dying about a month after that. If yours is younger I have heard great results from treating them right away. Unfortunately mine was already 8 weeks by the time I received her from a friend. Hoping your chick heals up well!

Back
Top Bottom