Broken Leg?

Sherribob13

Hatching
Oct 9, 2018
My chicken was injured two days ago when the dog across the street grabbed it and took off. It cannot get up and walk due to a broken leg I believe. There was no blood and there isn't any open wounds thank God but I do believe his leg is broken up where it connects to I guess his wing. How do I treat this? Do I splint the whole leg and just make it completely straight or what is my options? Thank you I'm desperate 4 my baby that my Granddaughter hatched herself her and it is her pet and part of our family!

Welcome To BYC!

Is a vet care an option for you?
How old is he?

The leg could be broken, sprained or fractured, it would be hard to know unless you can get some xrays. Another possibility would be nerve/spinal or internal injuries. Even if there are no puncture wounds and there was no blood, dogs squeeze their "prey".

Here's information about splinting various injuries. Hope that helps.
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
http://www.starlingtalk.com/fractures.htm

is the leg swollen?if so,you can soak in a warm epsom salt bath to help reduce swelling and also relieve some pain.also yes I would splint the leg and make a little sling for the baby to keep weight off of the leg

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry about your trouble. :hmm

It needs to be determined the extent of the injury... whether it is broken, fractured, dislocated, just sprained... or what. If it is dislocated it will need to be re-positioned and held in place. Honestly the best help I could suggest is a vet visit... though that isn't my normal go to for chickens and illness, when it comes to injury there are definite benefits to having someone with experience assess and direct you on the right path for treatment. Sometimes splinting is good but others it can cause more problem. A visit to my vet is $45.

A sling to get weight off the leg MIGHT help...
upload_2018-10-9_10-38-10.jpeg
images

Is he eating and drinking? Sometimes shock can be a big issue. :hmm

:fl

Back
Top Bottom