Broken leg?

Jun 20, 2020
Vermont
One of my chicks might have a broken or sprained leg. She will not let us touch her so we cannot find out where on the leg but it looks like it is near the thigh. What do I do?

Try wrapping the chick in a towel securely but certainly not too tight, to contain the wings. If you loosely cover the face/eyes, they tend to do better. It will be best if you have help but it is doable by yourself. Try to stay calm but I know that's easier said than done.

Feel the leg. If it's broken, you will feel the break, especially if it's a compound fracture (bone sticking through the outer tissue). You can splint by wrapping something soft around the leg, then placing popsickle sticks or Q-tips for a small bird, then wrapping it with Vetrap, being careful not to wrap so tight it cuts off circulation.

Then the chick needs to be kept immobile for it to heal. The way to do that is with a chick chair. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

81 grain chewable aspirin can be given twice a day for pain.

The chick is really more of a pullet now. This is her before the break, as I cannot get a good picture. She hides behind the water an food in her cage that we put her in. She needs it to be protected from the other pullets who peck really bad at her.
20200806_090216.jpg

Back
Top Bottom