Broken leg?

NDchickenlady

Songster
Sep 2, 2019
Northern North Dakota
Does this look broken? She is a new young hen. And was kept in a small area with 2 other young hens. I don’t see how she could have gotten injured. Is there anything I can do?

Attachments

• B11C0D04-7BE8-4708-BB7A-E5021A1E5565.jpeg
    B11C0D04-7BE8-4708-BB7A-E5021A1E5565.jpeg
    658.8 KB · Views: 12
  • A7E79BB8-68EF-4BF4-A1FD-AD0836CA1F38.jpeg
    A7E79BB8-68EF-4BF4-A1FD-AD0836CA1F38.jpeg
    785.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 5A63BE69-A455-4313-A89B-B793A493687D.jpeg
    5A63BE69-A455-4313-A89B-B793A493687D.jpeg
    630.7 KB · Views: 7
Is she able to move the leg, and is she putting weight on it? Is there any swelling, or green or red bruising? Does it seem numb or paralyzed? How old is she and was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? She might have a riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency which can cause curled under toes and the tendency to walk on the hocks. Mareks disease can also cause that. But an injury might also be a problem. Watch out for the others to peck or jump on her, since she may seem lame to them. If that happens, it is best to separate in a wire dog crate with food and water near her. That would also allow her to rest the leg, if it is injured.

Is she able to move the leg, and is she putting weight on it? Is there any swelling, or green or red bruising? Does it seem numb or paralyzed? How old is she and was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? She might have a riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency which can cause curled under toes and the tendency to walk on the hocks. Mareks disease can also cause that. But an injury might also be a problem. Watch out for the others to peck or jump on her, since she may seem lame to them. If that happens, it is best to separate in a wire dog crate with food and water near her. That would also allow her to rest the leg, if it is injured.
Her toes seem kinda limp. Upper leg seems ok? I don’t think she was vaccinated. She is by herself in a box for now. She’s drinking and eating. She is about 3-4 mo
No bruising or swelling. Or cuts

It does sound like it could be Mareks disease at her age. Time will tell. I would try giving 1/4 tablet of human vitamin B complex crushed into a little food or a spoonful of water. That usually helps within a week or more, if it is a deficiency. Mareks is best diagnosed after death when your state vet can do a necropsy, if the body is kept cold prior to taking it into them M-F. Hopefully, it is not Mareks, since injuries are more common. Chicken slings can be helpful to get a chicken upright and in front of food and water. They should be let out of the sling often to rest and sleep on the floor. Some chickens do not tolerate slings and will try to get out of them. Here are some examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Here is the contact info for your state vet in Fargo:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom