Broken Leg!!!

allmychickens

Just'a small town girl
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
Washington
My chicken broke its leg(ankle)!I have no idea how. We separated it from the flock but that foot is hanging at an angle it turned like a dark orange red(used to be yellow). and is super swollen. I read that it should heal on its own if we separate it but it is so broken it is numb (doesn't respond when we touch it) and he constantly steps on it, throwing him off balance and falling over. Also he is a rescue chicken, found running on the street, and is so terrified of people it screams and tries to run on its leg, AND just lays in the corner puffed up and panting when ever we are near, so it is hard to help it!
hit.gif
hide.gif
D.gif

WHAT DO WE DO!!!!!!!! CAN WE SAVE IT??????

Last edited:
It might be best to put it down. I have an emergency vet near me who can do that for me. Or the animal shelter/humane society in your area. Sometimes we have to let them go for their sake. I am so sorry, God Bless you. It is so wonderful to hear that there are such compassionate people in this world. I thank you for the gift of your caring/thoughtfulness.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this--the poor guy! If he's running around and won't let you help him, it may be kinder to put him down, and I don't say that often
sad.png
Chances are it will never heal properly and he'll be in a pain for a long time if he's running around constantly.

He isn't out of hope, though. If you decide to treat, there are several things you can do, but it will be hard if he's not people-friendly. I know some people make slings to immobilize the chicken and keep the weight off its feet. You can try cold compresses on the ankle and give him some electrolytes or sugar water to recover from the shock. It will be a long, hard road, and it may not work. He may even lose the foot.

I know you'll make the decision that's best for the little guy
hugs.gif
I thank you for taking the time to consider all the options--you're a very compassionate person to take in such a terrified rescue chicken.

A fracture at a joint is a very difficult one to heal properly. So sorry.

i know a woman who had a chicken with only one foot (and only partial toes on the foot it does have) and the other foot was lost at the ankle adn her hen is just fine. She is actually on BYC. She lost it to frost bite...so even if you lose the foot id bet that chicken would turn out okay! So if the foot is dead and has no feeling and is tripping it up...if it were me id try amputation before putting down...esp if then hen cant feel it anyways:idunno

Her hen was a rescue that already had the frost bite when she got it and if i can recall correctly (trying to remember from her facebook pics and posts) she even went broody adn had chicks AND she had a picture of her perching!!

sorry it happens and good luck!! keep us updated!
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom