Broken leg

Bird biz

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 6, 2012
Dang, my 6 month old Leghorn has a broken leg.
I bound it with gauze and then plastic tape to stabilize it.
I have isolated her in an indoor cage with food and water and a wide perch. She is not yet an egg layer and has had access to oyster shell.
I am hoping the leg will heal and she will be ok.
I always appreciate your feedback, thanks.

I am assuming the break on the scaley part of the leg [lower leg]. ?
Keep her in a small cage, try to keep her quiet, NO roosting, soft shavings, lots of TLC and extra treats [protiens are good] and you will have to wait for the leg to heal. It takes 3 weeks to fully heal. After two weeks you can put her in a slightly larger cage if you like, again NO ROOSTING.
The skin did not get broken at all did it?
IF the bone was not displaced very much she will be fine, she might have a slight limp or she might not, you just don't know...did you take a picture of the break at all?
I hope this was helpful....been there done this....:old and it works.

When my pullet broke her leg, I just isolated her in a metal cage and made sure she had fresh food and water. She lied down most of the time, but she did heal. Her leg is just slightly messed up ( You can see where it happened ) , but its not bad at all. There isn't really anything you can do with a chicken when she breaks her leg...just let it heal on its own.

Okay, thanks, I will get a smaller cage and create the environment you suggest. Some of the scales on her lower leg where pulled off. I applied some antibiotic under the gauze. What kind of protein do you suggest? Dairy or beef or protein powder?

Haha. The skin seemed cut as if she had gotten her leg stuck.
I thought I wound carefully remove the little bandage in a day or two!!?

Dang, my 6 month old Leghorn has a broken leg.
I bound it with gauze and then plastic tape to stabilize it.
I have isolated her in an indoor cage with food and water and a wide perch. She is not yet an egg layer and has had access to oyster shell.
I am hoping the leg will heal and she will be ok.
I always appreciate your feedback, thanks.
I have been told by vets that the fracture needs to be immobilized at the joints above *and* below the break. Do some research and good luck!

How do you know if a chicken has broken a leg? I have had a chicken with a limp for awhile now and there has been no signs of any problem besides the limp. I thought it could be broke but I thought she wouldn't be able to walk on it after doing some research.

How do you know if a chicken has broken a leg? I have had a chicken with a limp for awhile now and there has been no signs of any problem besides the limp. I thought it could be broke but I thought she wouldn't be able to walk on it after doing some research.
Have you ever had a broken bone?

Back
Top Bottom