Broken or Dislocated toe?

Gizabelle

Crowing
Dec 30, 2018
North Florida
I noticed my 2 yr old RIR hen holding up her foot this morning. Upon closer inspection, it looks like it has been broken or dislocated.
She was definitely fine last night, so I know its a recent injury. She does appear to be in some pain, preferring to hold it up and only put weight on it when absolutely necessary.
Do I need to try to realign and splint?
Thanks in advance for any help.
IMG_0614.JPG
IMG_0605.JPG
IMG_0601.JPG

I would check out the footpad for any signs of bumblefoot scabs or a cut. The toe looks crooked which can be common, but it doesn’t look swollen or discolored. Do you think it may have always been crooked and you didn’t notice? You could splint it by making a chick shoe, but I don’t know if I would realign it just in case it was crooked before.

I would check out the footpad for any signs of bumblefoot scabs or a cut. The toe looks crooked which can be common, but it doesn’t look swollen or discolored. Do you think it may have always been crooked and you didn’t notice? You could splint it by making a chick shoe, but I don’t know if I would realign it just in case it was crooked before.
I checked the foot this afternoon... no open wounds or anything suspicious. She is stepping awkwardly high with that foot, and holds it up when not moving.

Thinking it might be dislocated at the joint, my husband helped me try to set it. We both heard a little pop when he moved it, but she had no reaction whatsoever. As soon as I set her down, it slowly moved back to the odd angle it was at previously.

Her toes were definitely straight before today. Believe it or not, I actually have a pic of her feet from a few months ago. I was curious if her scales were normal or if she might have scaly leg mites... hence the close up.

December:
IMG_0256.JPG

Today:
IMG_0610.JPG

I do think there is some scaly leg mites. Using an oil such as castor oil, vaseline, Nustock cream or many others once a week, and rubbing it up into scales can help if repeated for several weeks can help.

I noticed my 2 yr old RIR hen holding up her foot this morning. Upon closer inspection, it looks like it has been broken or dislocated.
She was definitely fine last night, so I know its a recent injury. She does appear to be in some pain, preferring to hold it up and only put weight on it when absolutely necessary.
Do I need to try to realign and splint?
Thanks in advance for any help.View attachment 1693777 View attachment 1693778 View attachment 1693779
You can try splinting it to see if it will stay realigned.
I've had a hen break a toe before, tried to fix it, but it was forever crooked. She did seem a bit more comfortable with the toe taped for a while, so it's worth a shot.

I did! - it can be found here :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...broken-photos-enclosed.1404113/#post-23046176

I have her foot taped right now... I was unsuccessful with the splint and the vet is on vacation today. We also have no power for him to have done the x ray yesterday due to Isaisis

I just want to confirm it will heal well and that she is not in pain... without the vet I am doing the best I can to ensure it will heal if taped

Back
Top Bottom