Broken Pin Feather?

mylilchix

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Front Range, Colorado
I have a salmon faverolle who has a broken pin feather in her tail. I noticed it bleeding the other day (think it happened while the girls were having sparring practice). I cleaned her up, put her back in the brooder, and switched to a red heat lamp. Yesterday morning she was bleeding a bit again. I cleaned her up really well and put her back with her flock. She's doing ok on her own. Will this just heal on it own? Should I seperate her until it does? I really don't want my girls to get a taste of blood!!!

Thanks, Sonja

You can try using flour on the end of it to help it clot. You can also use the clotting powder they use on dog nails that have been cut too short, but I wouldn't want a bird to accidentally ingest any of that. That's why I suggested the flour, first. Worse case scenario, you could pull the feather. A new one would grow back in. Hopefully, a little flour will help it clot.

I don't know about the clotting powder but the styptic pencil burns. Sometimes a bloodfeather can act as a syphon and slowly drain and weaken a bird in a very short period of time. In parrot aviculture it's recomended to pull a blood feather, especially in a flock situation.

sounds like she's fine. I wouldn't worry one bit. As long as you've cleaned it up so the others don't see any blood and she's quit bleeding, all should be ok
smile.png

I don't know about your particular bird but when a parrot is bleeding from a pinfeather, you pull it out. You can then apply clean cornstarch and save money on a styptic pencil. It works just as well. The idea is to staunch the flow of blow. Another thing that might work (not sure) would be cauterize the site, though I wouldn't want that done to me!

I think that the other people who posted about separating her from the rest of the flock until she's healed might have a good point. Usually though, one would expect that birds who were being picked on would find feathers missing from their head.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom