Broken soft-eggs on poop board

Hayduke27

Songster
9 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Gunnison, CO
Hi everyone. I have a question for the group, if anybody has an answer.

I have 12 chickens, 11 of them hens, several breeds. They just begun laying 2 weeks ago, and at least half of them have laid their first egg. Of course, as the chickens started to lay, I have had the whole spectrum of strange eggs behavior and whatnot, from eggs out of the nest to pullet-bullets. I have one thing that has been a little weird, and I just wanted to make sure it was not a cause for alarm.

About 3 or 4 times now in the past week, I have had a hen (not sure which or even if it is the same hen) laying soft-shelled eggs on the poop board. These eggs have all been soft shelled, and they have all been broken from being laid while on the roost at night. Is this something common in newly laying hens? They are on layer feed, and have access to oyster shell whenever they want it. All the birds free range during the day, and are happy and lively. Actually, just today was my first 5 egg day! (not counting the poop board egg, which would be 6)

Thanks for any advice!

D.gif

I have this happen all too frequently as well. I read somewhere that it could be because they got scared in the night? I honestly have no idea, but I'd like to see what other people respond, so perhaps I can fix my problem as well. :)

So this morning I had 2 soft shelled eggs on the poop board, neither of them broken. I suspect my Light Brahmas of this sacrilege. Anyway, I cooked the eggs and fed them right back to the chickens. Maybe the brahmas need to join the team and eat some oyster shells. I think it's time to have a little talk with the ladies.

Back
Top Bottom