Broken soft shelled egg?

studebakerchick

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2015
I went out to collect eggs this morning and i found a broken soft shelled egg on top of the nest box. I feed an organic pelleted complete chicken feed for layers, fresh veggies and they have oyster shells available at all times. Is there anything else i can give them to help fix this. Some of my chickens are older that i rescued from a bad situation and some are young. Thanks

If you don't know who laid that egg, I would just continue what you are doing. It happens from time to time.
I collected 42 good eggs today. An additional one was cracked and one broken.
The layer feed is properly formulated with the correct ratio of calcium to phosphorus to vitamin D3, which is essential for good shell quality.

Last edited:
Thank you i will continue what im feeding. It caught me of guard ths morning. I have a feeling its from the new chickens i rescued. Im actually surprised they tried laying at all they are definatly pretty old. I have 11 hens and 1 rooster and only get 1-3 eggs a day.

Hey guys ive narrowed it down and figured out which hen is laying the soft eggs. Theyre getting a little harder but still soft and breaking. It doesnt help she doesnt care where she lays them, she lays on top of the nest house and below it. Today it appeared she was on the roost bar and just spit it out. Just wondering if she will ever lay a good egg, she is an older bared rock hen. They have access to oyster shell 24/7, is there anytyhing else that would help? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom