Broken/splintered beak

mandi427

Songster
5 Years
May 7, 2016
Indiana
I have a silver laced wyandotte hen. She is 2 years old (roughly). Her beak is broken, kinda splintery looking. She looks healthy otherwise and put up a good fight when my husband tried to catch her for the picture. Is there anything we can do? Will she be ok?

IMG_20200530_130018415.jpg

Oh dear!
That doesn't look too "fresh" does it.

I normally leave beaks alone, but from what I can see it looks like it's split down the middle?
If so, then trying to repair it may be in order. The article below give instructions on how to do it.

I'm also going to tag in @coach723 Not sure if she's repaired a beak before or not. I've never had one split like that, so....

https://the-chicken-chick.com/repairing-chickens-broken-beak/

Yikes, wonder how she managed that! I think I would try to do a teabag repair on that to stabilize it and hopefully prevent that split from getting worse while it grows out. I think I would also try to trim or file off the very end of the upper beak, it looks a tad long, and that will hopefully put less stress on that split also, and make it a little easier for her to eat and drink. Just don't take too much and hit the quick. You might make mash for them, mine get it every morning and love it. Just mix some water in their regular pellets or crumbles, mine like it the consistency of thick oatmeal. That may be easier for her to eat til it grows out. Make sure you use gel type superglue and not liquid. The liquid is too runny and risks gluing things you don't want to.

Back
Top Bottom